Logo

Mechanic Stole 351 Ford Engine Options

bonden

"Mechanic skipped town with en

"Mechanic skipped town with entire 351 Ford engine out of 1975 25' Sports Craft sport fishing boat with Mercruiser setup. What are best options for replacement - need the whole engine with risers and so on.

Its an older boat but solid - I want it to be dependable. I'm fine with any good used engine that will work and be less expensive than new…

Can any Mercruiser engine be made to work or do I need to find another Ford? (I have a lead on a new GM crate motor.) If a GM-based engine can be used at all here, how many items need to be modified? Beds? Mounts? Wiring harness? Upper drive unit?

Will probably be doing most of the work myself, only calling the "real" mechanic for help if I get stumped. Would much appreciate any advice or info! Prices to expect? Sources? Links? Advice? Insight?

I'm very happy to have found you all here!"

Get a POSSE together and go ge

Get a POSSE together and go get your engine and hang the mechanic high from a tall oak tree in the town square. Whiskey for the boys and beer for the horses.

Check Ebay for Michigan Motors drop-in engines; they should be able to set you up w/a reman.

"Bonden;
I would strongly sug

"Bonden;
I would strongly suggest forget the Fudd, and go for a full drop in 350 GM. More durable, more power, and easier to get parts and service for IMO.

Merc has not offered a marine package with a Ford engine since 1981; that should tell you something. (Simmer down all you Ford fans; don't get in knot, I am just stating the facts. Well Ok, my opinion then.)

You will need everything bellhousing forward. There are plenty of packages available, depending on how much you want to spend and how exotic you want to get. Check this site, ebay, Jasper, Michigan Motorz, etc, etc.

BTW, your drive will be a 1.5 ratio, which is just fine.

Rod"

"My buddy just pulled two comp

"My buddy just pulled two complete, well seasoned but running 302's and he's looking for a home for them. You could probably pick one of them up for a couple hundred bucks.

They are FWC Pleasurecrafts and other than the bellhousing and I/O specific stuff, should bolt right in."

"I am with Guy, there is only

"I am with Guy, there is only one thing that I know of that is lower than stealing a guys woman and thats stealing a guys boat engine.
Bring on the trackers and the linch squad
Cheers
Sherrif Peter C."

"Bonden;
mkast points out in

"Bonden;
mkast points out in another post that your drive may be a 1.32 ratio if the 351 was a 4 bbl. It seems Merc used that ratio for the 255 hp package 351.

No matter, if you are buying a drop in package rated for at least 250 hp, you will be fine with that drive ratio. The splines on your leg drive shaft will fit the new coupler no problem.

Rod"

"Thanks much for all the advic

"Thanks much for all the advice.

Based on what I've heard here, I'm looking for a used 5.7 Mercruiser complete drop-in engine, and a bell housing that fits that engine.

The 2 mounts are attached to the beds with SS lag bolts and so should be easy to move, if needed.

My outdrive is the '72 to '83 plain Mercruiser drive with the 'lifting eye' on the top.

How can I tell what ratio my drive has?"

Back