Logo

Gearset

20 drive and 16 driven is a 1.

20 drive and 16 driven is a 1.32:1 ratio alright.
I beleive that was only used for the big blocks.

Rod

The 1.32:1 ratio was used in t

The 1.32:1 ratio was used in the Ford 351
4 barrel application too!
So much for the 350 having "more power"!
But then again you said "in my opinion".

"mkast;
Hey, no offense inten

"mkast;
Hey, no offense intended, OK?
I am just not a Ford guy, but I have no problem with all those out there who are.
The 351 is a fine motor, and I believe Merc rated it at 255 hp with the 4 bbl.
I did not realize the 351 used the 1.32 drive ratio, so thanks for setting us straight on that issue.

My only point in the other post is that Fords have not been used at least by Merc for many years, and there are lots more GM 350's readily available that are rebuilt for marine use. And you can easily find rebuilt 350's rated at 300 hp and higher, for not much money. Better bang for the buck, again, in my opinion!

Peace,
Rod"

"Ayuh,..... Only another Opini

"Ayuh,..... Only another Opinion here,....

The 351 was used with the Model 1s, Pre-Alphas, with the 1.5:1 drive ratios,...
Same ratio as the 350 Chevies....

The last listing I've found for the Merc. 351s is 235hp....
The Chevy 350s were rated 260hp.....
And,....
I Believe you'll find that the 1.32:1 gear sets were used Only with the BBCs, 454 motors in the Alpha 1s....
And only for a couple of years before the Bravos were introduced...."

"Rod,
No offence was taken.

"Rod,
No offence was taken.
The page with the information is to large to paste to this posting. The 255 was offered in MCM and MIE configurations.
The 1.32 information is in an early Mercruiser #1
maintenance manual. I found it when we built a 351 to replace the 302. Riggs Marine in Eldorado, WI did the gear change.
The reason Ford stopped building marine engines was simple, GM quoted a cheaper price than Ford.
I have no affection for Ford, I'm at the age now, if it starts, I'm happy, if it moves when it's put into gear, it's a good day."

""I'm at the age now,

""I'm at the age now, if it starts, I'm happy, if it moves when it's put into gear, it's a good day."
Me too. Nuff said.
Cheers,
Rod"

Back