Logo

Borg Warner 72c

blasttech1

does anyone know how to change

does anyone know how to change the shifting mechanism on the tranny to the opposite direction. i have just purchased a used 72c v-drive transmission and it originally was on a lefthand engine. i will now be installing it on a right hand engine. i know this can be done but do not know how to change the shift lever so it works opposite what it did.
Thank You

"James,
If you go under th

"James,
If you go under the Crusader section and go down a few threads to the one titled "velvet drive" you might find your answer.I have never done that, but did remember seeing this discussion before...Todd"

"Scott,
Just curious as I d

"Scott,
Just curious as I do not know of anyone that switched directions on the tranny.Just wondering how it will hold up in the long run after always turning in one direction.Will the tranny not know it and get the same life span so to speak as one running the same direction its whole life?...Todd"

"You'd be running it full

"You'd be running it full time (foward) in reverse. Life would be about, oh, 30 minutes. Maybe less!

Jeff"

absolutely. DO NOT change the

absolutely. DO NOT change the shift lever to change direction. rotate the pump to change input direction. it will then turn the other way in FWD.

"The 72C v-drive was designed

"The 72C v-drive was designed to be used with either CW or CCW rotating engines. There are 4 bolts on the front of the trans holding the round pump to the case. Note the arrows (and depending on production "LH TOP" and "RH TOP") cast into the pump. The arrow at the top of the pump should match the direction of the engine shaft rotation. Remove all 4 bolts, rotate pump until the other arrow is on top. Replace bolts. Get a new prop. The velvet drive doesn't change the rotation of the prop shaft unless it was ordered that way from the factory. It's the same as the rotation of the engine So now that your new engine rotates in the other direction your prop will too.
According to my manual, if the pump arrow doesn't match the engine rotation the pump will not pump and the trans will not work."

"Here's a picture of the p

"Here's a picture of the pump. You can just make out the arrows.

150405.jpg
BW 72C pump

Back