Logo

Mercruiser 30 engine wet from water in bilge

E

ed robert

"I stored our 5 month old boat

"I stored our 5 month old boat in our side yard with a boat cover covering the boat. Something blocked the drain hole in the transom and rain water filled up the bilge, about halfway up the block.The starter was under water and the alternator was halfway submerged. There was a brownish rust colored slime covering everything that got wet. There is no battery power now. What else, besides the starter and alternator needs to be checked out? Is the motor history?"

"Reset the main circuit breake

"Reset the main circuit breaker for the engine. Is the oil level way above the full mark on the dipstick? If it is then you may have rainwater in the block. Did the water level get high enough for water to enter the drive and shift bellows? Rusted U-joints on the drive shaft? That is enough to worry about for now.
sad.gif
"

"Thanks for the response and h

"Thanks for the response and help with this.
Oil is OK; I'm not sure where the drive and shift bellows are. I took the starter off and can tell the water got in around the starter, the flywheel is rusty. The shift "rod" goes through he transom much higher than where the water level reached."

how can I access the universal

how can I access the universal joints to check for damage?

Can you tell if the water leve

Can you tell if the water level was that high in the back of the boat? Pull the OD and disconnect the bellows on one end. I think your U-joints are sealed. Take it back to the dealer. Engine align. will need to be checked. Maybe they will do it as part of their service since it's a new boat.

Back