Logo

1990 Evinrude 70HP What gaskets set or sets do I need

"I'm planning on disassemb

"I'm planning on disassembling the front half of the powerhead from the carbs to the crankcase split. For the Crankcase split I need either omc gel seal or loctite 518. The question is what gaskets should I be replacing. I believe my problem lies with the split crankcase, the previous owner worked on this and used the orange / red color make your own gasket and this crap has to go. The engine has a lean sneeze problem. The Carbs have been re-built with one size up orifices (I forget the number, might be 63) The sneeze problem still exists but in a smaller way than before the carbs were done. The fuel lines have been replaced and the VRO is disconeccted, Standard pump. The fuel connector has been bypassed, the fuel tanks and main hoses have been verified on another 1983 70hp also the fuel pump. The fuel lines have been replaced with clear ones so I could see what was and still is happening. The lines are getting air in them. I suspect this crankcase seal is the culprit. Your insights would be greatly appreciated. I might just be wasting my time with the crankcase seal but, I'm willing to give that a go before I dump this thing and just live with my 1983 70HP (about 62HP at the prop compaed to this other motor). Much appreciated! Jeff"

"omc gel seal or loctite 518--

"omc gel seal or loctite 518---and any gaskets that u un-seal....your lean sneeze prob,could be link and sync prob's easily."

"Thanks JWB. So far I see the

"Thanks JWB. So far I see the outer airbox, the inner air box to carbs, the three carbs, the omc gel, possibly the upper and lower seals and if i remove the complete power head from the body the lower gasket. Am i missing any possible gasket I might encounter? I can price them out separately and as a kit on my own I just need to know if there are other gaskets I haven't thought of. Have you ever installed clear fuel lines before? Is it normal for the main lines not to be completely full once in operation? Thanks for the help!"

You have to pull the power hea

You have to pull the power head in order to split the crankcase-- there is no other way.

"Ok so the lower gasket defini

"Ok so the lower gasket definitely comes into play. Thanks!

Any thoughts about the fuel lines not being completely full? I've used different fuel pumps (I've got a VRO on order, but I'm not sure I want that in this motor either) that both worked fine on another 70hp, I've swapped out the main line and fuel tanks no difference. Carbs were re-built (professionally)I really believe that one cylinder is sucking in air throught the crankcase split because of the gasket cramp used (that red automotive "make you own gasket", which has filler in it, and this is a no no with these motors). Any thoughts? Much appreciated!"

Back