Logo

Info on SeaRay 250DA MCM 454

smilesalot2u

Supposidely the boat is a 1989

Supposidely the boat is a 1989 but dont know the serial number on the engine is worn away as well as the transom serial number only serial number found is on the Mercruiser 233 sterndrive 4231616.
Was interested in repowering with the Marinediesel 6.5 MD300 but don't know anyone who has used it more than 500 hours so Im alittle cautious. Looking for other diesel options?
any links to rebuilt or remanufacured diesel engines and sterndrives.

Thanks

You should put your post on on

You should put your post on one of the diesel sections on this site. You will get better response. Most people on this section are gas burners.

Rod

"Thanks for the suggestion, I

"Thanks for the suggestion, I will post this in the diesel section.
Since this is a gas burner as you call it, I'm looking for info on the current engine and stern drive as well. All I know is its a 7.4 liter engine but don't know make or model. As for the stern engine is this an alpha stern or Bravo or neither any info on the ratio with mercruiser serial number. Does anyone know can this be enhanced or replaced with a bravo stern drive with minimal modifications.

Thanks Rod for the quick response

G"

"Have you thoroughly checked t

"Have you thoroughly checked the valve covers, and the air cleaner plastic cover for any sign of model and serial numbers?
The block serial number may also be on a tag on the stbd side, below the manifold, in front of or near the starter.

The drive may be an Alpha, or Bravo.
Bravos came out in about 1985, so I suspect you may be OK. If its an Alpha there is no easy way to change to a Bravo.
The inner transom plate is the same, but all the rest of the transom assembly and the drive will have to change.

Also, the Bravo has no internal impeller water pump, so you would have to add a belt driven water pump. If you are repowering, no problem.

That would be a way to tell about your drive; if the engine has a belt driven water pump, it is likely a Bravo."

if you are sure its a 89 then

if you are sure its a 89 then it well might be a alapha. merc did infact use this combination aroune this time. this is around the time the 300 hp rating for the alpha came out and they quit using it on higher hp motors.
if your 454 is stock chances are its 330 hp

Back