Logo

79 grady white

lec1956

"hi guys i have a 1979 20'

"hi guys i have a 1979 20' grady with a 470 merc. this ran great up till the end of season last year. i have found antifreeze in the pan. so i did a comp. check and found #4 has about 9 or 10 pounds less all the rest have 150psi. have not ran hot or anything like that. so can someone help me in which direction to go from here. i am thinking it may be a head gasket or cam shaft seal. could someone give me a little guiadence. also found cracked housing on res. where cap fits for the closed system, maybe i can find a used one somewhere. can someone please help. thanks larry"

Please rephrase question. #4 h

Please rephrase question. #4 has only 9 or 10 psi or # 4 has 9 or 10 psi less than the rest?

"Ayuh,....

Because of it&#3

"Ayuh,....

Because of it's notoriety,...
I'd start with the Cam Seal......"

"sounds like you have 150, 150

"sounds like you have 150, 150, 150, 140 for compression. Compression is not your problem. Time to find the coolent leak."

"Larry,
I think what I wou

"Larry,
I think what I would do is have a coolant pressure test and bypass that reservoir when doing that.How much antifreeze did you find in the pan by the dipstick reading?How much antifreeze did you lose?About the same?Any in the bilge?....Todd"

"seemed to be equal emounts lo

"seemed to be equal emounts lost and none in the bilge.could this be at the back of water pump. don't have a book yet this is why i ask.not sure i am seeing how it leaking in the eng.does the front cover also come off, ok if it does so i can replace front seal.not sure how to pressure the way you are saying. but i will try to figure it out. larry"

Back