Logo

Hey guysits my turnI need a lil helpYamaha st dr

jwbmarine

Silver Medal Contributor
"I have a yam st dr in shop...

"I have a yam st dr in shop...we r having &^%^##, ..
I inst a new imp,sherwood pump,on eng...will not pump water at low speed...we disc hoses,..raised both,filled both w/water,...at idle wont pump out disch hose...new imp,all looks fine...cooler clean for PS pump...WTF??...it HAS to pump,..if u have wtr in intake hose and out hose,keyed --OK,..shaft not slipping....no air leaks....will not pump....any thoughts...."

If the pump is turning and wat

If the pump is turning and water is not moving there is a blockage somewhere. Start disconnecting hoses at the closest point to the impeller and see if you have pressure. Continue along the line until you don't find pressure.

"I got a little lost while fol

"I got a little lost while following your path and I haven't worked on a Yamaha O/B since..., well, in a long time.

But I am understanding that you installed a new complete pump assy. If this is the case, is it the correct rotation pump? If you are installing an impeller only, it would be obvious if the diameter were wrong, but is the thickness correct?

If you have both hoses disconnected, raised up, filled with water and nothing is moving with the pump turning, there's no need to look at coolers, the problem is in the pump.

Double check the impeller, make sure the hub is not spun and the key is in place on the shaft. Confirm it is the correct rotation pump. If all these things are OK, put a different pump on it."

"thanks rick,...we r wking on

"thanks rick,...we r wking on a st drive......but,...my thoughts are yours...and we have ck'ed everything u have listed......thanks for you're opinions...... jwb"

"I knew that, I meant to say I

"I knew that, I meant to say I/O, not O/B. It sounds like it may be sucking air , maybe a torn seal or bent shaft? Let me know what you find.

Rick"

"the customer has taken boat h

"the customer has taken boat hm...i told him,the only thing i knew ,left to do,was replace the pump. and its about 400.00 or so,so i think he is going to keep messing w/it himself....
just fyi--shaft--ok...i was thinking a bad seal..but if bad enuf to cause the prob we r seeing,..i would think...it would be dripping...at the least??
thanks for your opinions...."

"It should have back to back s

"It should have back to back seals. If one were bad it is possible to leak air in, but not water out, or visa versa."

"that was my thoughts too,i wa

"that was my thoughts too,i was'nt aware of the btb seals tho.....thanks very much rick!"

"The pump is just worn out int

"The pump is just worn out internally. How to check this is while the pump is off. Cover one outlet with your hand and suck on the other. If it pulls a vacuum, then the seals are good. Then remove your hand and see if you pull air past the impeller. If you can easily pull air, then its just worn out. Sherwood 991 pump."

"two suggestions. #1 no longer

"two suggestions. #1 no longer applies as the boat is gone.
#1 pump shoe worn out.
#2 don't take yamaha stern drive jobs. parts rare, crappy drives, and a computerized ignition (yems) that even dealers don't have equipment to check. send 'em down the road."

"Actually parts are easy for a

"Actually parts are easy for a dealer to get, computer is easy to trouble shoot with just the Yamaha flow chart. Many of our parts are now coming out of Japan direct and faster than the southeast warehouse. The drives are bulletproof unless the owners self destruct them by not checking the oil. We ship sterndrive parts almost daily all over the country. Pretty good profit item for us."

"with all due respect Ken, BAL

"with all due respect Ken, BALONEY. the last yam. I worked on needed manifolds. I ordered ( at over $1200 as I recall) and waited over three months before canceling order and modifying exhaust elbows to fit a set of mercruiser manifolds. ignition problem was presented to several people (including dealer) with no help. finally replaced entire system. the only good thing I can say about the entire ordeal was I found this site. (also no help, but I stuck around) I'll be glad to refer them all to you."

"Just surfing the web and came

"Just surfing the web and came upon this site. We have a 1993 Glasstream 210 cc with a Yamaha sterndrive that we purchased 3 years ago and it's been a fabulous boat. Had to replace thermostat and impeller because 2nd year hubby started it up out of water (duh!). And then replace end of season because we were at a terrible marina, water was extremely low and sucked up alot of sand (happened to alot of boats there). No problem whatsoever in getting the parts locally. And we were told by the marina that got the parts for us that Yamaha made a very good sterndrive. As my husband says, Yamaha makes everything it does well."

How about sharing the info. Ya

How about sharing the info. Yamaha parts are better than gold.Where are you and what marina has parts??? Capt ken is the only one I have found for parts.share the web page or phone number!

"Now for the bad news. Got no

"Now for the bad news. Got noticed from my Yamaha Rep last week that they will not be shipping anymore sterndrive parts into the states from Japan after the first of the month. So after that, whatever is in the warehouse is it."

I guess it will be time to re-

I guess it will be time to re-power or bite the bullit and by new. it had to happen some time.
The yamaha stern drive party will be ending soon.

"i have a yamaha stern drive a

"i have a yamaha stern drive and this is a recurring problem with them....try checking the large hose that goes through the transom...if that has a crack, the system cannot create enough vacuum until you get moving....mine is cracked a small bit but it still keeps itself under 170 degrees....im just not ready to tear this thing apart....i havent gotten the clymer book for the sterndrive but everyone i kno that has this book says it makes it much easier to work on these things.

93 renken cuddy yamaha v-6 sterndrive"

Back