Logo

Guy G

"I'm looking at a Mercruis

"I'm looking at a Mercruiser service manual on e-bay right now. The guy at Bass pro said that I needed book #25 that goes from 1998 to present. I just want to make sure he knew what he was talking about. How do I know if there is a newer book for my engine. 2005 4.3L carb., alpha 1
Do you know if there is a newer one or how I could find out?

Wrench"

Wrench:

I would call Merc.

Wrench:

I would call Merc. Tech. Support and ask them. Why not buy the manual for that year; not cheap but gives you the correct info. At least try to get a manual closer to 2005 if available. My boat is an 87 and I was lucky to get that year's manuals for the engine and OD. Ask the eBayer what manuals he has.

Guy

Wrench:

I see you have a Ta

Wrench:

I see you have a Tahoe; what's your opinion of it? I am considering getting one a few years from now.

Guy

"Guy...

Sorry for the delay

"Guy...

Sorry for the delay, I just got stuck on the phone with my brother in law talking about this whole manual thing. Anyway, I might just try and give the Merc. Tech guys a call and see what they have to say.

Our Tahoe boat is the older style Q4 ( as compared to this years new style Q4). The new one is 1 1/2 feet shorter than mine, and only comes with the 3.0L or an outboard. They no longer offer the 4.3L in the Q4. It seems to be a pretty good boat so far. Reasonably quick to get up on plane, corners nice, handles nice, and you can't beat the size of the swim platform for the kids to jump off of while swimming. Thats one of the main reasons (the platform) why we went with a Tahoe. Fit and finish is as good as anything else we've seen. The newer equivalent boat to ours now is the new Q5i. I have the Ski/fish version so it has a removable electric motor on the front. It pulls the boat around pretty good.

Wrench"

"Guy...

Thanks for sending

"Guy...

Thanks for sending me that suggestion for theCD from e-bay, but I think I want a book to have out in the shop. Theres no computer out there, so if I need to figure something out, I would have to come into the house, take my boots off, look it up, print it out and head back out there. My beer could get warm in that time.

Wrench"

Wrench:

See how much that

Wrench:

See how much that a print shop or an office supplier wants to print the manual from the CD and put it in a binder. It's usually by the page.

Fish and ski is what I want. It's either the Tahoe or a 25-28 foot sleeper for Lake Erie.

"Guy

Thanks for the suggest

"Guy

Thanks for the suggestion about getting it printed off at a printing place. I might check into that. I guess it depends on how many pages there are on that CD. I have one on PDF file (1997) (from someone off this site but I can't remember who), and its over 500 pages. It could get costly to print that all out. I find it difficult to scroll through all those pages to figure out what I'm looking at. I like to have a book just to flip through in my spare time and look at how things work. The manual on e-bay is for $22 and shipping is also $22, (isn't that convenient?), but at $44, thats still about half price of what it is if I order it at my local marina. $71.49 + 13% tax = $80.78 ...... then the manual for the outdrive is the same money. Ugh.

Wrench"

"Wrench:

I like a manual al

"Wrench:

I like a manual also. At $22 shipping, he pays $3-4 shp. and the rest is untouched by eBay; they only get a percentage of the sale price. I saw a bug shield for $6.95 and opened the item only to find $69.95 shp.

Guy"

"Like you guys I like to have

"Like you guys I like to have a printed manual also. I usually make a double sided looseleaf version for the shop, as at least it will stay open where you want it to, and it doesn't matter if it gets a little messed up.

wrench, did you decide what to do?
I have the .pdf version of the Alpha manual #14 if you like. Email me and I can send it. Sorry I don't have the 4.3 manual in .pdf version.

Guy; I know what you mean about shipping costs. Getting worse all the time.
Getting something shipped from the lower 48 up here to Canada is even worse. By the time UPS is done with brokerage and all the rest of their fees, you can easily wind up paying 100 bucks or more for a 20 or 30 dollar item.
It's much less proportinately for a more expensive item, so I wind up not getting any smaller items shipped by UPS.

Rod"

"Hey Guys
Try shipping stuff

"Hey Guys
Try shipping stuff from the States to the land of Oz, if fuel wasn't so damm expensive it would be nearly cheaper to drive over.
I have two manuals, a genuine merc and a clymer but I like the idea of a CD so I can just print off the relevant pages I need and not destroy my good printed manuals.
Weather is starting to cool off a bit here now, but the conditions for boating are just fantastic.
Hope you are close to getting your prop wet Guy G.
Cheers
Peter C"

"Rod...

Thanks again for th

"Rod...

Thanks again for the offer of the .pdf file. I understand that it won't send because of the size of the file. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

I contacted Mercruiser and asked them what book I needed and they responded with -- #25. This is what I was told by other people as well, but Guy's suggestion was good, just to make sure my info was right.I wound up buying book #25 off of e-bay. I found one for $19.99 and much cheaper shipping at $12 to come up from PA. I told them to ship it by some other regular mail type of route that it "could take up to 2 weeks". We'll see who delivers it and how long it takes to get here. After all exchanges it came to $33 Canadian. I'm just waiting for it to show up.

Wrench"

"Peter:

TODAY!!!<[img]"http

"Peter:

TODAY!!!
sun.gif

WATCH THE DAMN THING NOT START. I put a Blaster coil on it last month; she better like the spark!
crazy.gif
"

Guy
May she rev cleanly and g

Guy
May she rev cleanly and glide through the crystal waters with ease for you big fella.
Go and have some fun.
Cheers
Peter C

"Peter:

Many thanks. The b

"Peter:

Many thanks. The beast never started.
uhoh.gif
That's because it was late when I got her prepped, batteries, etc., air temp. was dropping, didn't believe the weather forecast for the night, my fartbox was tired from doing drywall finishing half the day; if I didn't have MS I could function better--my body gets tired easy. Not complaining, just venting. You fellas are great! One more for the road and may she always look good in your eyes."

Back