Logo

Broken Rod on Water Pump Pulley

maxum_owner

"The shaft that connects the p

"The shaft that connects the pulley to the water circulating pump on my '99 merc 4.3 broke off with the pulley attached. I don't know if it is related but that same day my steering became stiffer and stiffer. I went to check the steering fluid today and start trouble shooting for steering problems and thats when I noticed the belt off and the pulley missing/broken. I think it happened when I flushed the lower unit, luckily not while I was underway.
I am assuming I need to pull out my water pump and replace the rod but any ideas why this may have happened?"

"Did you notice any overheatin

"Did you notice any overheating at the same time as the steering issue?
Without a circulation pump operating, it would likely overheat quickly.
Try turning your PS pump pulley by hand. If it turns it should be OK.

The pump shaft may have fatiqued due to vibration or whatever. Was the pulley wobbling at all?

Rod"

"Thanks for the info. No, I di

"Thanks for the info. No, I didn't notice any overheating at the time. The boat seemed to be running fine except that the steering was getting harder and harder to turn. I didn't notice any other issues until I opened it up today to find the belt off, the rod broken off and the pulley on the engine compartment floor. Im guessing it happened while flushing the engine.
Can I replace the shaft or do I need to buy an entire new pump?"

"Without a doubt a new pump.Th

"Without a doubt a new pump.This is not a high dollar item,and I sure do not want to be anywhere near when one of these cuts lose at about 3000rpm.Might want to check out engine and belt allignment after install.I would venture to guess that when your steering got hard-is also the time the belt came off.Just my guess....Todd"

I think Sierra part number 18-

I think Sierra part number 18-3599 is what you want. Click on Engine Parts above and insert the number in the search box. Double check it.

Back