Logo

Shift CableMRseries 1973

N

Nor'east

Need to replace the shift cabl

Need to replace the shift cable on my 1973 302 MR/mercruiser. Was just wondering how much of a project that I will be getting involved in? Has anybody done this and have any tips to possibly make this alittle easier on myself? Will the leg have to removed?

"Ayuh,...

Is this the Lower

"Ayuh,...

Is this the Lower Shift Cable,...
I assume so, as it's usually the 1 that goes Bad....
If So,....
"Will the leg have to removed?"
Yes..."

"The upper shift cable was don

"The upper shift cable was done 2 years ago and the lower was not(was not my boat)End of the season last year I was having a real hard time getting the drive in gear, when pushed into forward it would just rev up and not go in gear,I would assume this would be a problem in the unit its self. What type of project should I be planning for?Weekend?"

"Go to outdrives.com for a goo

"Go to outdrives.com for a good section on changing the lower shift cable.
You should also strongly consider getting a Seloc or Clymer manual; or get an online subscription thru this site.

Changing the lower shift cable is kind of an ugly job with the engine in the boat, but it can be done.

The drive leg will certainly have to come off, which is the easy part. You will also have a chance to inspect your U joints, gimbal bearing, and bellows for condition. These should all be changed while you are at it if they are iffy, and who knows with a 35 year old boat.
You should also check your engine alignment with an alignment tool, and change your water pump impeller. These are the absolute minimum things I would do.

In short you are heading into a time consuming but doable project. You need to get yourself some documentation and also a supply of beer. If all goes really well you may get it done in a weekend.

Rod"

"Hey thanks alot guys for you

"Hey thanks alot guys for you insight,I do have a Seloc guide,plenty of beer and a few good mechanical friends on board for this(could need more beer) Thanks for your help! If anybody has any more tips for this project or any DO's and DON'Ts for this project to save time would be great! It sounds like it will be almost a Lower Unit Rebuild...."

"[b]"It sounds like it wil

""It sounds like it will be almost a Lower Unit Rebuild...."

Nope,..... All you're doing is removing the Whole Drive,.. Upper,+ Lower Units combined...
But,....
You should consider rebuilding the Whole Transom Assembley.....
If it was Me,... I'd replace All of the Rubber Parts....."

"Go to the drugstore and get t

"Go to the drugstore and get two boxes of knuckle bandages to protect you and your friends' knuckles before starting--seriously!

rain.gif
sad.gif
I am going to get on the water one of these days."

"Bondo,Guy,Rod and myself are

"Bondo,Guy,Rod and myself are all together on this one....You can do it but just have fun and don't be in a rush.As said...if you are that far,should replace the other parts as well, or you may see them again in a month or two.Would be best to back this boat up to a garage as you will be using all kinds of tools you did not think you would need.Even had to make some with the welder to make things go easier......Todd"

Back