Logo

Big Problems WATER

bottoms_up

"I was doing a top end gasket

"I was doing a top end gasket change and I found water on top of each of the 8 pistons under the heads. I also came across water in the oil. I think it may be a gasket problem, but then I was told it could be cracked manifols. I am hoping that it is only gaskets. I was told I could take the maifolds to a radiator repair service and they could pressure check the manifolds. The engine is only a few years old and has less then 10 hours on it. The previous owner put a new motor in the boat before selling it. I am looking for any addvice on the matter, before I spend a ton of money on the boat....Thanks."

"what kind of motor? clean wat

"what kind of motor? clean water,dirty water?
winterized properly?.
with less than 10 hrs and no overheat history I`d dismiss head gaskets.
"new motor" : all new except manifolds/ with manifolds? short block, long block?
exaust manifolds are good for about 8-10 yrs.
intake manifold rots under the thermostat."

"Thanks for the response.

G

"Thanks for the response.

GM57LG SGI
Cast # 14093638
Chevy 350
MCM 260

Winterized this year. Not sure about before that I just bought the boat in Oct 2007. Did not have it in the water yet. I was told the manifolds are about 2 years old, by the SN numbers on them. Just stripped it apart yesterday, I was going to start checking things over today. I did find that the termostat was all rusted. Water was clean. I'm going to clean up the heads and run a straight edge on them so that I can see if they are warped. The motor was new about 2-3 years ago when they put it in the boat. I have the receipt for the work and the owner paid about #3,800.00 for the motor and work. I'll check udre the thermostat to see if it is rusted away. Thanks"

"Ayuh,.....

I Agree with BD

"Ayuh,.....

I Agree with BD,....It sounds like something Other than Gaskets......"

"Sounds like it may have been

"Sounds like it may have been parked for the winter without draining the water, and the manifolds as well as possibly the heads and block may be cracked.
Not what you want to hear, and I hope I'm wrong.

Did you run the boat in Oct before buying it?
Did it run OK?
Do you know if it was winterized?

Rod"

What engine are we working wit

What engine are we working with?...What prompted you to the top end gasket change?Did you notice water-antifreeze in the bilge?Since its chevy I would get a flashlight and check the sides of the block about an inch below the heads and look for horizontal cracks.Sounds to me like a winterization gone bad...thermostats did not open.Hope that is not the case....Todd

Back