Logo

Need mechanic lansing michigan

toby_theodore

"i need a mechanic, in the lan

"i need a mechanic, in the lansing, MI area, who i can hire to do a compression check on a used boat (at a residence)."

"Toby,

1) warm up the e

"Toby,

1) warm up the engine if you can
2) remove all the plugs
3) disconnect the coil wire going to the distributor and ground it
4) screw in the compression tester into one cylinder
5) crank the engine over several revolutions until the needle on the tester comes up and doesn't move any higher.
6) write the number down on paper. (make a diagram and a place to write down each cylinder reading)
7) move on to the next cylinder
8) replace plugs with a little anti-sieze compound on the threads.

You are looking for consistency between cylinders. 130psi-160psi if memory serves me."

Toby:

Follow MistaHays dire

Toby:

Follow MistaHays directions to a "T". Now go one step further; repeat the compression test by squirting a tablespoon of engine oil into one cylinder at a time and record the results in the same manner. If the readings increase substantially the rings are worn.

"i'd like to thank all of

"i'd like to thank all of you for the great advice. i purchased a compression tester from a local auto supply store. it was $40.00 and even had a marine adapter. i met with the owner sunday morning to see the boat. he had it stuck in the corner of his garage along the wall with a bunch of stuff around it. i looked at the vessel from the front and the inside. i was so hot on this boat(prior to my arrival), from the pictures, that I brought my checkbook; however, the condition of the boat was good for its age, but overpriced. the boat was still winterized so i felt that a compression check might not be valid. had the price been closer to a possible offer, on my part, i might have gone ahead with a compression check. no need for the check at this point, but i will copy this information and keep it with my tester as my quest for a good used boat continues; thanks to all!"

Back