Logo

Carver

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"I have the option of buying a

"I have the option of buying an 1989 27' carver that needs a carb adjustment and new outdrive water pumps, (PUMPS AREN'T BAD JUST MY THING WHEN i BUY A USED BOAT i CHANGE THEM), for $10,000 with 2 year old trailer. he is selling it cause he can't afford to put gas in it. it has twin 4.3L v-8's??? I thought they were v-6's. I am going to go look at it in a week. I have seen pics of it and it looks great for what I want to do with a boat so please give some feed back and HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE"

"If they are 4.3s, they are V/

"If they are 4.3s, they are V/6s. Sounds like a great deal but I would still do a compression test before I wrote the check. If it were as simple as a carb adjustment, why hasn't he done it already.

I wish I had a dime for every time someone asked me to adjust their carb because it wasn't running right, only to find out it needed a tune-up and a piston.

Good luck
Rick"

the reason I know it needs a c

the reason I know it needs a carb adjustment is because I talked to the mechanic that has always done the work on this boat since the day the owner bought it. h bought it from a dealer cause this mechanic is a friend of his and will probably continue to work on it. he is retired now but this boat will be bought from a friend of mines brother and the mechanic is the one that referred me to this boat before knowing that I was friends with the owners brother. I think I can trust him...maybe

"Check for transom , floor and

"Check for transom , floor and stringer rot. When were the bellows last replaced? Engine couplers are suspect if the engine mounts' bases have rot. Two Merc. reman. carbs. about $900. If the carbs are original I wouldn't rebuild them due to worn shaft bushings, etc."

"Caveate emptor! Get the boat

"Caveate emptor! Get the boat surveyed by a professional. Make sure he checks all you've been told. Two new ODs, if needed, would cost $2,500 for generic up to $9,000 for Merc."

Back