Logo

Mounting a kickertrolling motor

"hi all,
Ok now I got luc

"hi all,
Ok now I got lucky and got a mercury 7.5 outboard. I have the 898 in the boat. What should i look for when im mounting the kicker motor and stuff im new to this stuff. How should i handle the throtle, steering. Hey for 150 i had to buy this kicker.

Ray Rider"

"IF you had an inboard (I

"IF you had an inboard (I assume it's an outdrive) you could simply mount the motor in a fixed position and steer with the rudders. In your case (assuming outdrive) you'll have to rig up a rod the turns the OB with the OD. No biggee. That and some really long control cables.

Jeff
S
PS: With gas prices going up all the time, lots of us will be doing the same thing!"

yeah i have the I/O. I seen th

yeah i have the I/O. I seen the rods and i think a piece of thread all and some conectors i can make one a heck of alot cheaper then what they sell them for. My main concern is with the kicker plate is how to determine what height to mount it. How deep does the kicker need to go into water compared to having it up out of the water for running the main motor. I seen a gas pedal type thing i could use to control the throtle for the outboard. Just wondering if there are some tricks im missing. Last time i delt with an outboard was on a small bass boat and that you used the handle for.

"The mount for your OB should

"The mount for your OB should come with some guidlelines for selecting a suitable location and height for mounting.

Essentially you want it so that when in the upward position it is clear of the slipstream flowing under the transom (of course), and when down the prop is fully in water.
When trolling with the OB you will not be planing and the OB prop does not have to extend completely below the hull bottom. Position so that the prop is completely immersed at rest, and that should be about right.
Its always a compromise between being high and in the way when not in use, and too low to be handy when in use.

Rod"

Be carefull not to mount kicke

Be carefull not to mount kicker unit too high. A rocking(pitching) boat may lift the unit out of the water. Also be sure to have a backing plate on the inside of the transom to distribute the stress. Simple stuff but needed to be said.
Bill

Back