Logo

Depth Alarm Install

wrench

Regular Contributor
"Hi guys....

I'm gonna

"Hi guys....

I'm gonna be putting in a depth alarm (not fishfinder)this year to try and avoid all those rocks and stumps.

The guy at Bass Pro in Toronto said that when they install a depth alarm with an in hull transducer, they use a bunch of 2 part epoxy and make a little mold out of a plastic pop bottle. They put the transducer in the mold and fill it to the top with the epoxy, covering the transducer completely and gluing it down to the hull. ==== The guy at the Bass Pro in Auburn NY. didn't think that the above method was very good and that I should go with an externally mounted transducer on the transom. (thats what they do) He also mentioned that when the in hull transducer is mounted at the factory, they thin out the hull a little where it will be glued down so it will read better going through thinner fiberglass. (??????). I would prefer to go with the in hull one just to keep the back of the boat cleaner, but can't even see the the floor under my 4.3 I'm not too hip on the idea of drilling holes in the back of my boat, even though I have an externally mounted one on the back of my old ski boat for 20 years now with no gell coat problems... but that is my old boat, not my good boat... Anyone have any ideas about this or have any ideas as to what they have done in the past when putting theirs in? I want to get going on this as soon as it comes out of storage.

Thanks

Wrench"

"Wrench, like you I didn’t wan

"Wrench, like you I didn’t want to drill the transom or hull.

I used a standard plastic external electrical wall box that was large enough to take the transducer. I mounted the sender, with the bottom facing downwards, into the box with a good gap between the bottom of the box and the transducer.

I fixed the electrical box to the bottom of the boat and using fibreglass filler paste.

Apply to the bottom and up the sides of the box

Be sure to mix the filler carefully so that you do not get air into the paste.

Then fill the electrical box with thin oil, I used cooking oil, to cover the transducer.

This works fine, as there is no air between the bottom of the transducer and the hull and you should get a strong reading."

Back