Logo

Depth Alarm Install

wrench

Regular Contributor
"Hi guys....

I just got bac

"Hi guys....

I just got back home from a trip to NY state. (Just discovered Gander Mtn. down there. We deffinately need that store up here. Guy G., I bought some Sea Foam there on your recomendation. $6.99 / pint. Is that good?)

The guy at Bass Pro in Toronto said that when they install a depth alarm with an in hull transducer, they use a bunch of 2 part epoxy and make a little mold out of a plastic pop bottle. They put the transducer in the mold and fill it to the top with the epoxy, covering the transducer completely and gluing it down to the hull. ==== The guy at the Bass Pro in Auburn NY. didn't think that the above method was very good and that I should go with an externally mounted transducer on the transom. (thats what they do) He also mentioned that when the in hull transducer is mounted at the factory, they thin out the hull a little where it will be glued down so it will read better going through thinner fiberglass. (??????). I would prefer to go with the in hull one just to keep the back of the boat cleaner, but can't even see the the floor under my 4.3 I'm not too hip on the idea of drilling holes in the back of my boat, even though I have an externally mounted one on the back of my old ski boat for 20 years now with no gell coat problems... but that is my old boat, not my good boat... Anyone have any ideas about this or have any ideas as to what they have done in the past when putting theirs in? I want to get going on this as soon as it comes out of storage.

Thanks

Wrench"

"the trick i have used when dr

"the trick i have used when drilling external holes in a boat where there is wood is to locate the item first,drill the hole to the proper diameter,mix up some resin and fill this hole completely first,(it soakes into the exposed wood), redrill and insert a hardwood dowel coated in resin,them mount the item using a sealant on the bolts/screws."

"Wrench:

$6.99 is about wha

"Wrench:

$6.99 is about what I pay in SW Ohio, USA.

The trouble with installing transducers inside the hull is the installer and the prep work. If the hull is SOLID fiberglass and not the new sandwich fiberglass that has a honeycomb core, the transducer will shoot thru the hull and return a good echo.

I replaced my thru hull transducer last year. I chipped the old one off of the hull w/a wide wood chisel and then used a 50 grit 5" sanding disk to clean off all the old epoxy and remove some of the fiberglasss from inside the hull--1/8". You can use a cutoff wheel.

I installed a base filled w/mineral oil to the hull and then inserted the transducer into the base; it works perfect w/the new Faria gauge.

If you use epoxy the manner of mixing the epoxy is extremely important. The epoxy mix cannot have any bubbles in it that will interfere w/the transmission of signals. Prep your hull first and clean the area and transducer w/brake cleaner. Use plumbers putty to make a thumb size donut about 1/4" - 3/8" wider in diameter than the transducer. Place the putty donut on the hull floor where you want it. DO NOT
MOVE the donut because it has an oil base and the epoxy won't stick where it was.

Mix enough epoxy to make a pond 1/8" - 1/4" deep in the donut--LESS IS BETTER. To mix epoxy w/out air bubbles: use a clean flat wood board (luan board works well) and place the epoxy in the center. DON'T STIR it. Use a 3" drywall tape knife to spread the mix onto the board. While turning the board 1/8th turn pick up some mix w/the knife, turn it over and smash the mixture onto the board and spread it a few inches. Continue doing this procedure until the mix is well blended. When the epoxy is well mixed, scrape the mix to the edge of the board and tilt the board and scrape enough mix into the donut mold. Now take the transducer and press it into the epoxy w/even pressure and w/o twisting it. Place a brick or heavy object on it to hold it in place until the epoxy is set or overnight. Remove the donut and its ready to go.

Bt Dr's method is one step better than mine; I haven't used a dowel before. I use EPOXY resin with some filler, saw dust flour or silica, to make a putty which won't ooze out; tape over it anyway."

"Thanks guys...

I'm alw

"Thanks guys...

I'm always looking for more advice on the best way to do something. I may have to go with the transom mount one though because of the tight confines around my motor, BUT... I'm still leaning towards the through hull thing. I'm unsure if my hull is solid under the motor or if it is the double layered sandwich type. I guess I should get a hold of the manufacturer and ask them what they do. I've also heard about the bubble problem in the epoxy and the inability for the reading to come through properly.

Wrench"

Back