Logo

Which Gasket is the real one and which is the imposter

elgineddie

Contributing Member
"I purchased new GLM exhaust m

"I purchased new GLM exhaust manifolds and with them came two manifold-to-riser gaskets. They are the ones with 2 slots and 2 restrictor holes. From what I've read, the gaskets with restrictor holes should only be used when there are two hoses per manifold/elbow (one to the bottom of the manifold and one to the elbow). My engine has ONE hose per side going only to the 90degree fitting on the bottom of the manifold.

I believe I need the gaskets with the 4 slots, not the ones with restrictor holes. Can I get some thoughts on this please?

http://users.foxvalley.net/~spizzirri/whichOne.jpg"

Thanks,
Eddie"

"The restricters will eventual

"The restricters will eventually blow through anyway, I'd use the open ones."

"If you have a raw water coole

"If you have a raw water cooled system, the gaskets with the little holes are the correct gaskets,I believe that the restricter gasket is designed so that the water is kept within the system longer; thus not alowing the engine to over heat. If you still have questions as to the correct gasket you can contact GLM directly."

"The gasket with the 4 open sl

"The gasket with the 4 open slots (Merc PN 27-860232) is used for your application.

The restrictor gasket with two slots and two holes (Merc PN 27-860233) is used only for RWC applications where bypass water from the T'stat housing goes to the elbows, and warm water from the T'stat housing goes into the bottom of the manifolds.

The reason for the latter setup is so that the manifolds do not see cold lake water, but rather 160 degree water, which prevents condensation of water inside the manifolds after shutdown.

FWC engines (with FWC manifolds) use separator gasket (Merc PN 27-860231) with no holes between the manifolds and risers.

Hope that helps,
Rod"

"Excellent, thanks for the inf

"Excellent, thanks for the info. I will use 4-slot gaskets in my application.

Thanks again,
Eddie"

Back