Logo

Hard starting

"It seems as if I am doing a l

"It seems as if I am doing a lot of posting.
1976 Johnson 15 HP is really hard to start.
Primer bulb is firm and does not leak down. No gas leaking from caurb. New power packs, new plugs, points look ok, did find one condenser wire frayed. caurb been cleaned. Once started it runs out quite well. Just hard starting. Except for the condenser work performed by someone else.
It has good spark good rpm. I give it a small shot of starting fluid and she fires right up. Leads me to believe that it is a fuel problem that may lead to a rebuilt. Any other suggestions it sure is hard to give it a squirt of starting fluid due to lack of access to ;the caurb. I sure should have spent 20 years navy instead of army Foot soldier all the way. Hello army, navy and all other veterans."

It might be the spring holding

It might be the spring holding the choke plate that has become too weak. Try to tighten it one more turn around the shaft.

"I know is seems basic, but ma

"I know is seems basic, but make sure you have the correct spark plugs installed, I just went through H##l because I had NGK plugs in my 1977 Rude, the book calls for Champion, but also cross over to NGK, then I find out that NGK's work better at high voltage systems, not on lower votage OMC systems, I changed out to Champions and it runs like a top. Worth a try.."

"Either the plastic choke leve

"Either the plastic choke lever is installed upside down, in which case it would not perform properly to close the choke butterfly, OR the choke butterfly is not closing for some other reason, OR you've overlooked something within the carburetor.

I assume you've removed the carburetor black air face plate to observe the choke action?"

Back