Logo

Steering wheel Removal

bertg

Regular Contributor
Not really a Merc problem but

Not really a Merc problem but it steers my Mercruiser:) My boat @1979 Seaswirl-K&C Thermoglass black plastic emblem on the steering wheel. The steering wheel center cover is a rectangle with rounded corners. I can't see where it will pop off as I've tried that. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the steering wheel off so I can change out a wooden veneer panel on the full dash.
Any suggestions?
TIA
Bert

"Thanks Guys.
It'll be a

"Thanks Guys.
It'll be a day or so before I can get a picture.
Guy I can get under one corner but it is tight! I don't want to break the plastic, although it does feel like it's anchored around the center hub,
cannonfodder I checked on the back of the control, just a plate there, no nuts or bolt holding it in.
Bert"

Bert:

Are there any plugs o

Bert:

Are there any plugs on the backside of the wheel near the column hiding screws? The cover may just have some plastic lipped retainers that lock into place when the wheel cover is put into place. In order to release them you have to find their location and insert a slender blade (tool) screwdriver to push inward on it. Good luck.

"Bert;
It has to come out som

"Bert;
It has to come out some way.
If there is no way to free the shaft from the back, then there has to be some access through the front, or along side the front of the molded plastic, like Guy has said.
Once you get the front cover off you will likely find the hub is splined to the shaft with a retainer nut, like the way cars are built.

Guy; I see you are now using your full name instead of just the initial.
Why the change just out of curiosity?

Rod"

"[b]"Once you get the fron

""Once you get the front cover off you will likely find the hub is splined to the shaft with a retainer nut, like the way cars are built."

Ayuh,.....
It'll probably be a 3/4" tapered, keyed shaft.... Maybe 1"...
That's been pretty much the Standards for 20, maybe 30 years now.....

"Guy; I see you are now using your full name instead of just the initial.
Why the change just out of curiosity?"

Ayuh,... Had me confused too..."

"Rod:

No particular reason.

"Rod:

No particular reason. There are only two of us in the USA. Myself in Ohio and a younger man in Hawaii--not related. Most everyone else uses their full name. I just updated my personal info. and decided that since nobody was looking for me for giving them bad advice, it was okay. Someone may put me in their will for saving them $10 on repairs; ya never know!

Went to the lake today w/o my boat to fish--started raining ice pellets at 3:30 p.m. E. DST. No bites but found a lure on the bank; water was down 2 meters and murky looking besides cold. Need 2 more weeks to turn the fish on; still too cold for the fish and my old derriere."

"Hi All
Went to the boat toda

"Hi All
Went to the boat today in earnest with two wood chisels and a vow of succeeding. Found a few pry areas, bent a bit of rubber but the sucker finally popped out. Wheel is off and wooden dash is in the garage ready for my finishing skills.
lol.gif

Thanks for the advice.
Bert"

Back