Logo

PreAlpha alignment tool

Can someone give me a source a

Can someone give me a source and part # for the prealpha outdrive alignment tool. I'm on the west coast of Canada so the closer the better. Thanks

"If I'm not mistaken the c

"If I'm not mistaken the current alignment bar can be used on all present and past drives including the ALpha, Bravo, pre-Alpha. There is a method in the Merc manual for modifying an older alignment bar so that it can be used on newer drives, but all newer ones are backwards compatible.

You can order one through your dealer, or this site, or several others online. Just google Mercruiser alignment tool or something like that. I ordered one a while ago from Aftermarket Marine in Kenner, LA. UPS lost the first one, but Aftermarket obligingly shipped me a second one at their expense. They have a website.

If you only need to use it once, you may be able to sweet talk your local boat shop into loaning you theirs for a weekend. They will usually oblige if you are buying parts or supplies from them.

Rod"

"[b]"but all newer ones ar

""but all newer ones are backwards compatible."

Ayuh,.... Exactly.....

They go thru ebay quite regularly,.... Reasonably pricd too......"

Finding an old alpha unit and

Finding an old alpha unit and cutting the u-joint apart will get you thru also.You are simply trying to create the same scenario as if the drive was on.
Todd

"I just bought one on eBay for

"I just bought one on eBay for $20.
snow.gif
"

"The shaft will get you out of

"The shaft will get you out of trouble at a pinch but it realy isnt long enough to make it easy to work with and if it is well worn it may not be too acurate.
Check Ebay, how can you go wrong when like the Master G, you can pick one up for around 20 bucks.
BTW Guy, has the ice thawed around the trailer yet??
Its passed the middle of March
wink.gif

Cheers
Peter C"

"Ayuh,...

Using an old Inpu

"Ayuh,...

Using an old Input Shaft is Shakey at Best,....
There's just No Way to properly Read the Grease Tracks like on a Real Alignment Bar....."

"Peter:

Yes, the ice is fin

"Peter:

Yes, the ice is finally gone. Now we are being deluged with a rain like Noah never saw! Going to try next week.
whistle.gif
"

Checked into the ebay thing. T

Checked into the ebay thing. The only guys that will ship to Canada want $42.95 and $30.00 for shipping. That would be ok if it were the end of it But what happens when it gets to the border? Duty? taxes? I guess I'll try to find one locally.

""Shakey at Best".....

""Shakey at Best".....A used input shaft that has little wear to it from a broken case is well within tolerance for a line-up.Nothing shakey about it.Before moving on to inboards, I pulled many drives every winter and made sure alignment was good to go in the spring.Never any problem with this on mine or any other boats I help maintain.No doubt the proper tool will always be the best, but on this one you would really be splitting hairs.I worry more about those that do not grease or maintain regularly....Todd"

"go down to point roberts. hav

"go down to point roberts. have tool shipped to marina, or mail box place. smuggle it home.
ps.I didn't tell you that."

Back