Logo

1974 Steury Houseboat with a Mercruiser Inboard Engine

tommyr43

The engine has been rebuilt a

The engine has been rebuilt about 6 years ago and the people I bought it from (which I trust) said that they haven't started it in 4 years but it ran good when they parked it. They only took it out two or three times since the engine has been rebuilt and it worked great. For some reason the engine will not turn over. I checked the starter and it is working fine. I took the plugs out and used some lubricant spray in each cylinder and done it off and on now for 3 days and it still won't turn over. Do you have any ideas on what to try next?

"straight inboard?
check the

"straight inboard?
check the transmission,
inboard-outboard(sterndrive)
remove the drive
was it winterized the 4 years?drain some of whatever is in the crankcase to check for water.
could have cracked a manifold and allowed water to sit on a piston."

"Tom
The exact story on my bo

"Tom
The exact story on my boat when I bought it. Water had gotten into No.2 cylinder and seized it. Does the starter try to engage, or is everything silent when the key is turned?
Bert"

Squirt some PB Blaster into ea

Squirt some PB Blaster into each cylinder and wait a day. Then turn over the engine by hand. Start by gently rocking it a few inches.

"Guy's got the right idea.

"Guy's got the right idea. lots of lube in the plug holes. Back and forth gently with a breaker bar and socket on the crank pully. If it's going to come free, it will be then."

"If the above methods don'

"If the above methods don't work, try using compressed air to force the oil/solvent between the pistons and the cylinder walls. The adapter pictured here was homemade. An air fitting was brazed to a broken spark plug shell. I believe these may be commercially available. The compressed air hose is connected to an air compressor. This not only forces the oil into the cylinder, but on a four inch piston, 120 psi of compressed air will exert a downward force of almost 1500 pounds with no damage to the piston. This will only work on cylinders with the valves closed. If you want it to work on cylinders with open valves, you can back off the rocker arms until the valves are closed...count the number of turns to reset the rockers after the motor has "freed up". Using two of these adapters and "Teeing" them together, you can double the force exerted on the crankshaft. I have used this method many times with good results...Good Luck...hope this helps!
148442.jpg
adapter"">
148443.jpg
adapter in place

It is a V8. The starter is goo

It is a V8. The starter is good. I have tested it and it is working like it is suppose to. When I turn it over you can tell that it is kicking out but not turning the engine over. I will try to use the PB Blaster and see what happens. Thanks a million to everyone that has replied. I'll let you know what happens.

Back