Logo

SPARK PLUG QUESTION

hercules

"1977 EVINRUDE 85 HP. THE BOO

"1977 EVINRUDE 85 HP. THE BOOK CALLS FOR CHAMP L77JC4, IT ALSO HAS A CROSS OVER TABLE (4) THAT ALLOWS NGK B9HS-10. NOW ON THE NGK WEB SITE THEY SAY THIS IS NOT A RESISTOR PLUG AND IN EARLY OMC MOTORS WITH THE CD IGNITION, A RESISTOR PLUG IS REQUIRED OR IT MAY MISFIRE AND/OR DAMAGE THE SYSTEM...I KNOW THE EASY ANSWER IS USE THE CHAMP PLUG, BUT MY MOTOR HAS GONE THROUGH TWO POWER PACKS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, AND OF COURSE; I HAVE THE NGK PLUGS INSTALLED. HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THESE PLUGS OR IS THIS JUST HOGWASH???"

"If you're going to use NG

"If you're going to use NGK plugs, use the plug that is the equivalent to the Champion QL77JC4 spark plug. This is suppressor plug designed to quiet ignition noise etc within whatever electronic equipment you may have on board.

The spark plug has nothing to do with powerpack failure. Remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack and with the key in the ON position (engine NOT running), check that wire for the slightest amount of voltage.... set the volt meter to its lowest DC setting. If any voltage is present, even a micro volt, that will destroy the powwerpack.

The above voltage problem is usually due to a ever so slight short in the ignition switch, in which case, replace the switch.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Unfortunately there are no eq

"Unfortunately there are no equivalent in NGK to the champion Q plugs. If Champion is not available but only NGK, do NOT use any NKG with 'R' pre fix unless You want spark jumps and risks of killing the power packs."

"Stick with the Champions Larr

"Stick with the Champions Larry, they work better with the lower power ignitions found on the OMC's - the NGK's work best with Merc/Yamaha ignitions whose coils put out 40-50,000 volts (almost double most OMC coils)...."

"Hi: Guys, thanks for the info

"Hi: Guys, thanks for the information, it looks like the book thru-me-a curve (so to speak). I only wish I had discovered this before I went nuts and made every test under the sun;ie: replacing switch, stator, sensors, and of course two power packs. Expensive lesson, sometimes the obvious is the last to be found... Larry"

"Yes, bad plugs can appear to

"Yes, bad plugs can appear to be many things - we often jump to the more complicated conclusion and forget basic troubleshooting..."

Back