Logo

55HP Evinrude

D

Dusty Hunt

I have a 5.5hp evinrude great

I have a 5.5hp evinrude great shape runs good.
I was wondering what the motor was worth?

I was at an aution once.Somebo

I was at an aution once.Somebody asked me what i thought their motor offered that night was worth.I said " you will find out later what it is worth " there was little interest and I started the bid at $10.00 -------It did not sell!

"1963 was a good year for the

"1963 was a good year for the 5.5hp Evinrude. I assume that you did know that the engine is a 5.5hp and not a 5hp. A well designed engine.

Its value depends on its condition, appearance and running wise. Inquire around at various outboard shops as to what they're asking for engines in the time period, and check with the outboard listings on eBay. What do the new engine sell for in that hp range?

Hopefully someone will jump in here with a value figure for you. Sorry I couldn't do more."

"Dusty, have seen completely r

"Dusty, have seen completely restored models of that vintage go in the 200-300 dollar range. But would assume that, that particular value lies in basically using the engine as a "decoration".

Otherwise, they generally sell for less than 100 dollars. Parts are often difficult if not impossible to come by in some instances often making them impractical to be used as an everyday motor.

Considering a new 5 or 6 horse can be obtained for less than 1000 dollars in alot of cases, a 40+ year old motor holds little value unless it is a collectors item..."

If you have a good running &#4

If you have a good running ( in good condition ) 5.5hp evinrude of those years you will never need or want any new plastic foreign junk.Parts are easy to get as well you just need to know where to look.

"I paid $175 for a 1961 5.5Hp

"I paid $175 for a 1961 5.5Hp Johnson (pretty much the same thing, I think), last year at this time.

I ended up having to change the lower unit seals (and of course changed the entire water pump while I was at it) and put in a new thermostat.

Great little motor."

Back