Logo

30 mercruiser engine block

dbfate

"I have a 3.0 in a 1987 SeaRay

"I have a 3.0 in a 1987 SeaRay that I purchased and the block is cracked. I find that this is not the exception. What I would like to know is can I find a short block. So far I have been unable to find that GM made any blocks like these other than for Mercruiser application. I had the block repaired and it worked well for a while but now it is beyond repair. Any suggestions. Also, would I be better off to just convert the boat to a V6 I understand the outdrive is compatible, would that be more cost effective. Thanks, Dan"

"Chevy sold the 3.0l to Merc.

"Chevy sold the 3.0l to Merc. Volvo,+ Omc,....

They're redily available all over the net...
From Rebuilt, Used, or New....
The motor is almost unchanged for the last 40+ years......

To go to the V-motor will require extensive work to the boat, the transom assembly,+ the outdrive will need to be regeared to a different gear Ratio....."

"I would most certainly go wit

"I would most certainly go with the bigger motor, especially if its compatible with the outdrive. You'll be much happier in the long run, and if you pull skiers/tubers they will be too.
I was in the same position you are two years ago. I bought a used motor off ebay which turned out to be junk too but luckily I was able to combine the parts off the two motors and make one working engine. It was a 165 inline 6. It ended up costing me about $3,000. In my case I couldn't upgrade the motor without re-doing the whole drive train. More power is always better though right? Good luck"

"Thanks guys for the feedback.

"Thanks guys for the feedback. bondo, I read further down on some older postings after I posted, that you had adviced another 3.0 problem, I also looked at the manual and found that like you said the 198.1 and the V6 at 184.1 would be a problem. Thats off the top off my head from earlier today. Also I think the exhaust must also be a problem. graham, thank you also, I was very happy with the performance of this little motor for my use when it was running. I will probably have to go with a new long block. I do understand that flywheel issues and connection to the drive will also need upgrade. Although who knows, by the time I get with it, more power may be better. A liitle chatty on my part, sorry. Thanks, Dan"

"[b]"I will probably have

""I will probably have to go with a new long block. I do understand that flywheel issues and connection to the drive will also need upgrade. "

Ayuh,.....

Going with a long block, you may, or may Not excape the Flywheel Issue,.....
And,.....
Your 87 is an Alpha 1, so the Coupler is new enough to/ should not need an upgrade....

Good Luck... It sounds like you've got a handle on it...."

"Dan;
You could use a 4.3 V-6

"Dan;
You could use a 4.3 V-6 with no problem.
The minor difference between a 1.98 and 1.84 ratio drive would be easily accomodated by running a prop with 2-4 more inches of pitch. The Alpha 1 is rated for up to 300 hp, so no problem there.

A bobtail 4.3 package would bolt right up to your transom assembly, and include everything you would need from bellhousing forward.

You would have to switch to a Y type exhaust downpipe, which will bolt right up to your transom assembly, and is readily available on ebay cheap. Your local boat shop likely has one or more floating around the parts bin that you could get cheap.

The 4.3 can be had up to 220 hp, so you would see a healthy performance increase. The 4.3 is a good solid reliable performer that will treat you well for years.

I have seen complete remanned 4.3 packages on ebay for $4500 and less. It is also available in an EFI version if you wanted to go that route. Check this site and Jasper for prices and availability.

Rod"

"I agree with you that this li

"I agree with you that this little motor is gem. Unless your boat is exceptionally heavy, or you want to tow a bunch of skiers, that little 4 banger will do the job more than adequately. Not only is it good on gas, it's the smallest motor to use an Alpha One outdrive, so you know it's not hurting it.

Suggest you buy a new long block and put the rest of your parts on; and if you're in salt water, be sure to install a Fresh Water Cooling setup before the rust builds up inside the block and heads. It's far simpler and cheaper to add FWC to the 3.0--another plus for that motor.

Jeff"

"Thanks guys for the feed back

"Thanks guys for the feed back. Bondo, I found I can purchase a new engine from either the east coast or from wyoming for between $2500 to $3000 with the flywheel upgrade and shipping, etc. Can any of you recommend a reputable distributor that I could get an new engine from. John H, how far away are you I make several trips to Iowa to visit my wifes family. Fastjeff, your right the little engine is a gem. It was allot of fun and cruised great, even with four adults in it. To bad the repair didn't hold up."

"Just for grins, this boat act

"Just for grins, this boat actually came from Moline/Davenport Iowa on the Mississippi, it was at a marine shop sitting against the fence and it was a mess. I was with my brother in law he was having an outboard motor repaired. I thought I was briliant because they told me the block was cracked when I purchased it but me being a car nut I figured I would just come home to my local NAPA and buy a new GM short block. Boy have I learned a bunch. Still a great boat and cleaned up real nice. Ha!"

"Ayuh,....

I'm usually

"Ayuh,....

I'm usually selling used, rather than buying new,...So I really don't know Who's got the Deals,... All I've got at the moment is a Complete rebuildable core 3.0l motor....

Alot of fellas over at iboats have been buying long block SBCs from Rapido,+ reporting that the motors,+ the service is Top Notch....
Google is Your Friend,.... I gotta believe there are Many places to pick up either a new or rebuilt 3.0ls around...
'ell,... Ask Andrew, right here at MarineEngine.com,...
If he isn't selling them, he might know a Good place to Look....."

Back