Logo

E35TELCTS

G

Gaylan Lyon

"I've aquired an older 16.

"I've aquired an older 16.5' Alumicraft with this motor, the issue I'm having is that the boat does'nt want to plane. This particular motor is tiller steered, and all the accessory hardware including me is in the rear of the boat. I've added a floor to the boat so I feel weight might an issue. The motor seems to run great, but I don't know what pitch the prop is. Can't find numbers on it at all. What is the standard prop for this motor? If the prop is the solution to my problem, which way should I go on diameter, pitch and number of blades?"

"Gaylan, without knowing the e

"Gaylan, without knowing the exact model of your boat (which makes a difference - Alumicraft built numerous 16' versions), your 35 horses should be more than sufficient to push it along.

If your boat is a "utility style" designed to be run by a tiller motor you should be using a 13 pitch at minimum and possibly a 15 pitch. (but some extra details would allow my prop calculator to spit out a decent recommendation).

In general though, if you are looking for better plane, moving to a 4 blade, cupped prop will do wonders (although it will pinch some of your top end speed)....

Looking at my charts this motor probably came with a 10D9P (9 pitch) prop from factory - but that's just a guess based on the chart I'm looking at..."

Back