Logo

Thermostat replacement 1408430 78 140 Evrude

kiwi_dave

Contributing Member
"Gidday folks
Purchased a Se

"Gidday folks
Purchased a Service manual for my 140 rude, to assist in checking/replacing my thermostats, however, my manual doesnt give much info on how to remove. Some old salt mates have advised that I need to drill holes in my bottom Cowel to give easy access to remove the bubble housing covering the Thermostats.... Doesnt quit sound right to me ? .... Can anyone advise a general step by step as to how to replace TStats ? Is there any tricks to keep an eye out for ?, or is the reason there is nothing in the manual is because its so easy its not worth mentioning ??? KDAVE"

No need to drill those unsight

No need to drill those unsightly holes! It helps if you undo the bolts to lower the bottom cowling slightly.It is easier than you might think. 1/4 drive sockets also help.

"Thanks Bob yr Help is Much ap

"Thanks Bob yr Help is Much appreciated...
they came off real easy ... the stats looked liked they were both closed, or 1x stuck part open, anyway they both looked buggered... what kind of problems would this be causing ??? would it be one explanation for the overheat buzzer going off when I" gave it some revs to get up on the plane ??? but was able to cruise around doing 6 knots without the buzzer going off ?"

"have u installed a new wtr pu

"have u installed a new wtr pump kit?..sticking therm,'s,or press rel valves will cause overheat and horn."

"yep ... replaced pump kit, ag

"yep ... replaced pump kit, again ... already had new kit installed 18 months ago, but was used twice, then sat for 12 months, replaced anyway. pulled stats, as were buggered and seized close, now Im having a bugger of a time getting eveything in properly... my motto with this motor is persistance,persistance, persistance."

"Hi JWBMarine, adding to my la

"Hi JWBMarine, adding to my last post, when you say sticking release valves, I take it your refering to the spring loaded pieces thats giving me probs reinstalling housing back on to motor ?. How would I check if these are sticking ? they seem to more then enough play ?"

Back