Logo

Cluch dog

punkey13

"I have a 74 glastron with a 1

"I have a 74 glastron with a 140 merc I.O. The reverse had been grinding for a long time while engaging. It finally stopped engaging. All cables and linkage where fine. Last summer while at cruise, approx. 28mph. forward just let go. Like it went into neutral or the driveshaft broke (but, not the case). Now, revs-up but wont engage into forward. Did I break a cluch dog?? what is it? how do I fix it? would it be cheaper to salvage an old lower unit?

Thanks"

"It could be something relativ

"It could be something relatively simple, like the lower shift cable seized up, or the shift linkage. But if your luck is like mine, it won't be.

You likely need to do a complete teardown on the lower drive unit. It is likely the gears, shift clutch, and bearings all need to be replaced.
This will be costly. Been there, done that.

You are likely better off buying a rebuilt lower unit with a guarantee or salvaging a good used unit as you have suggested.
Even that may be hard to find in good condition for a 34 year old drive.

That would be a model I drive, BTW, and there were plenty of them made right thru 1983. It was the workhorse forerunner of the Alpha I, which came out in 1983. It was used right thru to 260 hp models, in various ratios. Yours should be a 1.98 ratio.

Rod"

Give eBay a search. For the m

Give eBay a search. For the money you are going to spend consider a complete reman. drive if you are going to keep the boat.

"Brian, you said reverse had b

"Brian, you said reverse had been grinding for a while.
Assuming you do regular/annual drive leg oil changes, have you ever found any metal grindings in the oil?
You could easily check that now, and if you find grindings, well, you know the answer!
If it comes up clean, then the problem has to be the lower shift cable, or the shift slider/shift shaft linkage.

Good luck.
Rod"

"Rather than complete reman, I

"Rather than complete reman, I would recommend you check out the New replacement drives from SEI. less than reman and no core req'd, so you can rebuild your old one with parts you buy from marineengine.com in your spare time and keep it as a spare drive."

Back