Logo

Advice Needed on Avoiding Honda Carb Problems

eric_smith

"I am considering the purchase

"I am considering the purchase of a new Honda BF30 to repower my older boat. Due to weight considerations, I am limited to 30 hp with new 4 stroke designs. I am also limited to the Honda as it appears to be only manufacturer offering a 4 stroke 30 hp short shaft remote configuration. With that in mind, one of the major discussion points for this engine seems to be carb/fuel issues. Given the price of the motor, fuel, and carb cleaning/rebuild/replacement costs, would it be worth it to put fuel stabilizer in every tank of fuel I use to avoid gumming issues during the boating season? As my boating schedule varies, I might run it every day for a week and then take 3 weeks off. I'm trying to avoid any carb problems, starting with a new motor. I would then follow Honda instructions for winter storage by draining fuel,carbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

Disconnect fuel line and run m

Disconnect fuel line and run motor till it stops when you are done. Prime the carburetors next time you use it.No muss no fuss at all.

"Agree with Bob, but would als

"Agree with Bob, but would also run the stablizer all the time. It helps keep the ethanol in the gas from absorbing water. Also, running a fuel/water separating filter is recommended (keep a spare cartridge or two on board)."

"Eric,

I suggest not only d

"Eric,

I suggest not only disconnecting the fuel line, but also keeping pressed the little stud located at the engine side of the connection. This is a valve that stops air from entering the fuel system at the connector when the line is disconnected. By doing this, you'll avoid the vacuum and let the fuel pump send all the remaining fuel in the system to the carburetor, where you'll burn it."

Back