Logo

BF75 dies at idle amp needs 23 choke

seanp

"Hi,

Read a lot on these fo

"Hi,

Read a lot on these forums and others about this seemingly frequent issue with these outboards.

I have a 1985 Honda BF75s. The motor has been very reliable over the past summer. I have just put it back into the water and here is the problem:

The motor starts fairly easily with full choke out and throttle at max. This is unusual as it normally starts cold with just the choke out and throttle at idle position. Anyway, once started it revs high, but as I push the choke into 2/3 position, revs pick up and it runs reasonable smoothly. At this point I can move the throttle to the idle position and the motor will run at lower revs, but it is a little unsteady. If I push the choke all the way in or attempt to suddenly accelerate the throttle, the motor dies.

I have new fuel lines, new bulb, new fuel filter, new fuel, new tank, new NGK plugs at the proper gap setting. I cleaned out the carb and check the float which looks clear. Fuel delivery is good.

I read a post someone on here that someone used "easystart fluid" for a similar problem and solved it. What would that do?

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated since I am reluctant to lug it to a Honda dealer, especially after reading another post that said the dealer could not find the problem either! And, spring is here...dying to get out on the water.

Thanks!

Sean"

"Armed with alcohol to soak al

"Armed with alcohol to soak all the parts, an O-ring set and 'Air in a Can' from Office Depot, I dismantled the entire carburator....every last piece of it! I put it all together, wiping and blowing out everything I could. It runs better than it ever has!!! Starts on 1-2 a pull!"

"see, there u go!!!!!
you nee

"see, there u go!!!!!
you need to do it right

trust me u r not the only one that had to pull them off twice!"

Back