Logo

93 Johnson 150 No Spark

bubba8828

"I have a 93 Johnson 150 that

"I have a 93 Johnson 150 that I ran yesterday. I went to start it today and it hit like it was going to start and then died. Then it just turned over, so I pulled the plugs and saw that it wasnt getting any spark. I disconnected the kill switch and still no spark. I disconnected both the black/yellow wire at the rubber boots on top of the motor, still no fire. I disconnected the gray plug w/ 5 wires on top of the ignition and then I had good spark. Does this mean I need a power pack or does it mean I have a short somewhere?"

After further investigation I

After further investigation I was only turning the motor over once to see if it sparked and with the grey plug unplugged it would fire once or twice then dead. Any ideas where to start

Check all of your wires for co

Check all of your wires for corrosion. Read the post about the 100hp Johnson doing the same thing.

"Paul , that motor has an opti

"Paul , that motor has an optical ignition system and quite a bit different from points, condensers and magneto driven units."

"It looks like I have an inter

"It looks like I have an intermittent spark issue from the power pack. After looking through the archives here is seems to be a somewhat of an issue with the 150/175 motors. Has anyone had any experience with the 18-5887 power pack from Sierra or would I be better off changing power pack, stator , and plug wires and go with the CDI pack?
http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=12478&post=54196#POST541 96"

Back