Logo

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
"I am looking at buying a 1982

"I am looking at buying a 1982 26' stamas sport cruiser with twin 470's in it, and what looks like the pre-alpha out drives. the owner says they both ran before he put it up 5 years ago. they haven't ran since. he only wants 3000.00 for the boat and trailer. I guess something bad happened to someone in his family and he needs the money,i drilled the transom with a small drill bit and everthing looks dry even the stringers. so I want the boat but not sure about the 470 engines and out drives. are they as easey to work on as the mercruiser 180hp and the alphaone outdrive that I currently have or are the parts hard to get.

also hows the reputation on stamas boats in general. ohh yeah and the upholstery is all new due the current owner does that for a profession"

470-488`s didnt come with pre-

470-488`s didnt come with pre-alpha`s.most parts available.biggest headache is with the cam seals in the front cover.the cam grooves and you drip from the weep hole.

"ok so what is the typical out

"ok so what is the typical outdrive of a 470 merc.?
heres the pic of the boat and motors

148116.jpg

148117.jpg

148118.jpg
"

"John:

It sounds like a dec

"John:

It sounds like a decent deal. Will he let you put it in the water and run the engines? All you need is a pair of batteries or a starter/charger for dead batteries, some fresh fuel and starting fluid and a little luck. Pull the plugs and clean/gap/reinstall.

You can expect some dryrot on rubber parts: impellers, belts, hoses, bellows--have they been in the down position?

Engine parts: Engine rebuild kits are available along w/most parts EXCEPT MANIFOLDS; they are like hens' teeth--scarce! The engines may be worth more as complete used engines/parts. If they have good compression then you only need some minor soft parts replacement to make it float.

What is the beam width? If the engines are dead in the water then repowering w/a pair of reman. 165 HP in-line 6 bangers MAY be possible w/the same ODs. They put out plenty of torque. You'll need all the other parts for the engines. The front engine mounts would need relocated.

A total repower w/drop-in engines and ODs will be too expensive unless you can find a wrecked boat with good engines and ODs at a salvage yard."

"Drives were "MR" and

"Drives were "MR" and are considered pre-aplha.

If the compression tests good, I'd go for it. I would replace the manifolds before I ever took my first cruise. They are the weak link (that and the charging system) on this motor and is why most of them have been relegated to the boneyard by now.

With new manifolds and a good going over you should get many more years of pleasurable boating out of her.

Good luck
Rick"

Seeing the pics. only leaves r

Seeing the pics. only leaves room for in-line engines. Drain/flush the engine cooling systems and then put in some fresh antifreeze w/a can of waterpump seal/lube before starting. T'stats may be rusted shut in place. Heat exchangers may be plugged w/crud growth over the past 5 years. Watch the gauges if they will start.

"470's DID come with a Pre

"470's DID come with a Pre Alpha! Before '84! Do a search on the 470 and learn its faults. Go over the engines with a fine tooth comb! The risers are the real problem with the exhaust. AN upgrade to a 4 inch heat exchanger would be on my list for these engines. I like the 470, but I'm not sure about this deal. 2-470's is double trouble!
Chris"

Back