Logo

1964 Johnson V4AV4AL16D Electric Shift

ko4nrbs

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1964 Johnson V4A-V4A

"I have a 1964 Johnson V4A-V4AL-16D Electric Shift 75HP motor. It runs very well and since I rebuilt the carburetor, fuel pump and water pump has been very reliable. I also replaced the points and condensors.

This was my first outboard and I must admit not knowing much about the old motors, especially electric shift. Should I be concerned about the electric shift? Are they less reliable than the mechanical shift motors? My lower unit looks like it hasn't been apart in many, many, years. It's seals look to be water tight as I don't see milky oil when I change it.
Bill"

Electric shift will most likel

Electric shift will most likely not give you any problems.They shift smoothly / at the right time/ no grinding / no adjustments needed.Type-C or OMC premium blend oil.Why do you keep asking about it??

I was considering buying anoth

I was considering buying another boat. It's a hard decision because this one runs so well. My son-in-law is selling his Bass Tracker which is probably better suited to my fishing needs but this boat and motor is the cat's meow for pulling skiers and tubers. I'll have to decide what to do!!
Bill

Back