Logo

OIL INJECTION BYPASS

want_to_fish

I HAVE A 1993 JOHNSON "TRA

I HAVE A 1993 JOHNSON "TRACKER" 40HP MODEL #TJ40ELETB WITH OIL INJECTION. I HAVE HEARD IT IS BEST TO BYPASS THIS SYSTEM. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF THIS? IF YOU AGREE CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS INVOLVED IN DOING THIS? THIS IS MY FIRST BOAT AND I AM TRYING TO GET MY 12 YEAR OLD ON THE WATER. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP- I NEED IT.

"the oil system,is a good one.

"the oil system,is a good one...but...it must be maintained.....oil tanks must be kept clean,filters clean,no water in tank,..oil lines and bulb,fittings and conn's in good shape,..warning senders,wiring,and horns should be verified good once a season....for many,this is just too much,labor ,or money for someone else to do it..a shop...soo,they just run it,or they disconnect it.....disc is no big deal,..its all a personal preference..mix or pre-mix...
here is some good reading for you--

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html"

"If it is working good, I woul

"If it is working good, I would leave it alone. However, I very much agree with JWB. Outboards may well be the most neglected motors out there. Many are run a few weekends in the summer and the owners wonder why they crap out on them just when they invited the neighbour out fishing for the weekend.

Have it serviced or invest a few bucks for the cost of a service manual (and your time to do the work yourself).

Personally, I wouldn't rip out a modern oil injection system (something from the last 10-15 years), unless it was causing a problem..."

"I found this( [url=""]htt

"I found this( http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12478/146135.shtml)and also MANY other articles on the removal and I think Ive read most of them.I have a 1991 Johny 60hp with a fresh rebuild i bought for my pontoon.I think the consensious is about 85% in favor of removing.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 07:28 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW DO I REMOVE VRO PUMP AND JUST MIX GAS AND OIL IN THE TANK

Joe Reeves
Username: joereeves

Post Number: 5581

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 08:30 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

When time permits, visit my store (copy/paste) at: stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"thank you for all the info. i

"thank you for all the info. i have just recently discovered this site and you guys have already helped me a great deal,talk to you later"

Back