Logo

1991 evinrude 175 hp looper 60 degree

dan606

Have a pair of 1991/92 175 hp

Have a pair of 1991/92 175 hp v6 loopers. They run fine but I noticed yesterday that one of them was very loose at the upper end. I am guessing that the rubber upper mounts might be worn or loose. Anyone have any experience with replacing these mounts? How sloppy can they get before they are a problem?

"yep......can be a huge pain o

"yep......can be a huge pain on salty dogs...there is a lg nut,at bottom of steering tube that can imitate this prob...u might try to tighten it up."

"JWBmarine...... thanks for th

"JWBmarine...... thanks for the reply..how loose is too loose? I will try to tighten the nut, but I think it is at the upper end."

"# 14 is the one i am referrin

"# 14 is the one i am referring to,..it goes on the bottom of # 7
148003.gif
"

"if u can grab the pwrhd,and j

"if u can grab the pwrhd,and jiggle it back and forth,and it wobbles,..without moving any steering linkage,..thats too loose.,in fact there should not be any play there at all,by hand."

"I would assume....they are...

"I would assume....they are...if it is real bad,..then u will have to pull the pwr hd and lower unit etc...quite a job..ck and see if the upper mount bolts might be loose."

They are tight I guess I have

They are tight I guess I have a project to get into. I have the parts catalog and the factory service manual. It shows the part#33 on pg 18 but it does not give me a good picture of how these mounts attach to the power head.

Also is it necessary to drop t

Also is it necessary to drop the lower end? Or are they (mounts) attached to the bottom of the power head?

"if you are rebuilding the ste

"if you are rebuilding the steering tube bushings etc,u would need to pull the LU also..the mounts of your type i have'nt been into in a cpl of yrs so i am trying to remember,..they use wedges and bolt etc..but should access by just pulling pwr head..i have a feeling,the bushings are shot on steering tube tho also."

You are probably right regardi

You are probably right regarding the steering tube bushings. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and tare it down....thanks again for your help.
Dan

Back