Logo

165 straight 6 MERCRUSER FUEL INJECTION

"The correct pitch and diamete

"The correct pitch and diameter stainless prop would help a little. Give it the basic tuneup and switch to electronic ignition then check and adjust the carb mixture setting.

Remember that your boat is 26 years old. Borrow a moisture meter and check the transom, stringers and floor (soft spots) for moisture. If the meter says the level is high then you can probably assume that the floatation foam is water logged. Water weighs 8 lbs./gallon and the foam can hold alot. BTDT.

You can check for waterlogged stringers, transom and floatation foam by drilling a 1/4" diameter hole into the stringers and the transom NEAR the bottom in the engine compartment. DON'T GO ANY DEEPER THAN 3/4" into the stringers and 1/2" into the hull!!! If the wood shavings are wet and water starts to seep--you have alot of extra water weight that can be removed. IF ANY OF THE WOOD SHAVINGS HAVE THE APPEARENCE OF BLACK MULCH--IT IS ROT and major work is ahead of you.

To dry out the boat the floor needs to come off and the wet foam has to be removed. If the transom is wet it can be dried by drilling a series of weep holes a few inches apart along the inside of the transom bottom and above the water line. THE DEPTH OF THE WEEP HOLES SHOULD BE JUST TO OPEN THE INSIDE FIBERGLASS SKIN.

Let me know if you find water and I'll tell you how to remove the water from the wood and reseal the wood to strengthen it. It's not as bad as you think."

"[b]"Just wondering if the

""Just wondering if there is maybe something I can do to make it faster."

Ayuh,.....

Trade it for a boat with a Bigger Motor......."

Thanks for all the advice Guy

Thanks for all the advice Guy G. I love this little boat. It's clean and unique. It goes fast enough i guess. What RPM should it max out at full throttle without damaging it at cruising speed? Where can you adjust it at?
Thanks again

"[b]"What RPM should it ma

""What RPM should it max out at full throttle without damaging it at cruising speed? Where can you adjust it at?"

Ayuh,....
You should be seeing 4400/ 4600rpms at WOT....
It's "Adjusted" by changing the Prop......
Up in pitch to lower the rpms,+ Down in pitch to raise the rpms..."

Back