Logo

Hydrofoil Stabilizers Do they work

G

Gary Jackman

"Does anyone have any experien

"Does anyone have any experience with these stabilizers that mount on the lower part of the motors. I have a 16' open bow INVADER with a 1993 90HP Johnson O/B. Do these things help with porposing, bouncing and improved planing time.
Any info or thoughts would be appreciated."

I have a 19 foot Olympic with

I have a 19 foot Olympic with a Yamaha 115 mounted on an outboard bracket. Also my built in fuel tank is in the rear of the boat. My boat sits a little low in the rear from all the weight. Without the stabilizer the boat takes a little longer to plane and the stabilizers help it stay on plane better at slower speeds. I use the Dolfin type 2 piece stabilizer and it works well for my application.

"Thanks Doug,
I also have a b

"Thanks Doug,
I also have a built in fuel tank at the rear about 20 gallons, so it sits a little low when the fuel tank is full.
I'll look into the Dolfin type 2 piece"

"They may work, until You brea

"They may work, until You break the anti ventilation plate due to overload. It was never designed to 'lift' the boat."

The type that I use are not ve

The type that I use are not very aggressive but they do improve the planing. There are others out there that are more aggressive and are pretty large and I don't use that style. The larger styles will spray water all over the rear of the boat.

"I highly doubt---u could ever

"I highly doubt---u could ever break..the 'anti vent plate..or ....as we call it in the US ..cav plate......In 31 yrs in april,..i have NEVER seen this..i am a believer in the ad ons...and think,the factorys,should have larger AVP--or--cav plates.....but think they dont,due to looks."

"JWB:
The local Yamaha/Suzuki

"JWB:
The local Yamaha/Suzuki shop where I get my parts has 3 Suzuki 140 -4 strokes in for welding of ventilation plates due to 'dol fins'. On the other hand I know from experience that the casting of the Suzuki gear housings (ref Johnson/Evinrude 4-strokes) are not of the best.
How many times have I seen raked SST props and Dol-fins?
I would rather recommend a set of hydraulic trim tabs than Dol-fin add ons.
A bit handy, an old I/O PT pump and the cost will almost be the same."

"I just purchased a Stingray H

"I just purchased a Stingray Hydrofoil and I also wanted to know what people thought of these "add ons"...however, after 8 posts, all I see is people commenting on how they don't work! 1 comment on the fact that it does......can anyone comment on whether or not they DO work please?"

"Paul, I had one of those on a

"Paul, I had one of those on a previous boat and because they stick out behind the motor, they throw water all over the top of the motor and the rear of the boat. Here is a photo of the one that I have used on my current motor and the motor before it. This style sits right above the prop and will not spray water all over the motor.

147976.jpg
"

Thanks Doug.....what was the c

Thanks Doug.....what was the cost of this type of hydrofoil? I purchased mine for $20 at a yard sale...he told me he was selling it because he didn't have the boat anymore. I've seen so many at the lake that I had to have it....}

why do you think it sprayed wa

why do you think it sprayed water all over the rear of your boat and engine? The manufacturer says that it makes a nicer wake for beginner water skiers.....I can't imagine that it would spray all over the rear if its making a better wake....just wondering.

"Paul, I'm not sure why. A

"Paul, I'm not sure why. All I know is that I had one and it did and my Dad put one on his 16 foot Bayliner with 90hp Johnson and it did there too. Put it on and try it."

It will create a spray if engi

It will create a spray if engine is mounted too low and the water hits the leading edge when planning.
Further more if the engine is mounted too low and the engine is trimmed out to an angle where the prop-shaft is pointing 'upward' relative to water flow (positive trim): I wish You luck -RIP!
With 'negative' trim it works as advertised.

"I run a Doel-Fin combined wit

"I run a Doel-Fin combined with a 4 blade prop - after going to this set up very noticable that the bow gets down quicker and stays down at lower speed, which is what I wanted (run alot of canals with 7mph/no wake speed limits and it's nice not to have to stand to see over the bow a 5 mph.

As to all the other claims about tighter turns, better fuel economy etc - can't speak to that - never noticed much difference one way or the other. Although, it does take more effort to turn the steering wheel with the doel-fin, the motor wants to run straight....

Add-on's are great if you do your research and add them for a specific purpose. If your boat handles well and suits your needs, why chuck the money. If you are looking for that "magical performance improvement" - sell your motor and repower with significantly more horsepower......"

(The local Yamaha/Suzuki s

(The local Yamaha/Suzuki shop where I get my parts has 3 Suzuki 140 -4 strokes )

---maybe thats the prob!

"there are literally ,thousand

"there are literally ,thousands installed on bay boats..in texas,they are large,inst by dealers,on new boats,and are as much a part of rigging,as a gas tank,........on shallow running bay boats.."

Back