Logo

In Dash Depth Finder

terrapin24h

Contributing Member
"Hi guys--
My 1998 starcra

"Hi guys--
My 1998 starcraft bowrider has an in dash depth finder that seems to have lost its mind. It never reads more than 8 ft, and never reads less than about 5(even though i have had the boat in shallows) anyone know how to fix these things? Let me know if so, thanks!

--chris"

"Reset all the depth alarms.

"Reset all the depth alarms. Check the wiring on the back of the gauge for corrosion--clean and reconnect anyway. See if the transducer is tight to the hull if epoxied in place. If it uses mineral oil like mine, check the seal for a leak and oil level. If air gets under it between the hull and transducer it won't read properly. The transducer may be shot. Contact the mfg. and ask them what the syptoms mean."

"Is the transducer located in

"Is the transducer located in the bilge? If so, they work much better with a little water in the bilge. Mine, an old rotary job, is that way. JW in Dixie"

"Thanks for the replies, I hav

"Thanks for the replies, I have no idea where the transducer is, when i uncover the boat i planned to hunt around for it a bit. The bilge is dirty but all i can see in it are the float and pump. I'm afraid the transduce will be deep in the hull somewhere unreachable... Can you guys tell me what they look like? Never seen one before..thanks again!

--chris"

look for a couple wires headin

look for a couple wires heading to a round cylindrical gizmo in the bilge. The cylinder will be mounted facing directly down.

"Look for an odd shaped hockey

"Look for an odd shaped hockey puck, round or oval, or a plastic canister with degrees marked on it with a cable coming out of it. It is usually centered or just off-centered in the back 1/3rd of the hull.
sun.gif

Check the voltage supply to the gauge; 12 VDC. There should be an inline fuse that may be corroded which reduces the voltage."

"If the transducer is epoxied

"If the transducer is epoxied to the hull and it is found to be bad, do not attempt to remove it. Just leave it and install the new one beside it."

Back