Logo

Removing the divorced choke from a 57 Mercruiser

srdancer90

Regular Contributor
"Hello again, with the spring

"Hello again, with the spring just around the corner I have decided to have my Rochester Quadra jets rebuilt. They were troublesome last summer (flooding etc.) I want to replace the divorced choke along with the carb rebuild.However the choke is frozen in the intake manifold, I tried PB Blaster it didn't help. The treads of the screw are striped. My question is if I remove the carb can I use a map torch on the intake to aid in the removal of the choke. My concern is the fuel line that feeds the carb will not be caped.Can a map torch be used in this area with out the fuel line being caped. If not, is there a cap that can be purchased to place over the copper fuel line."

"Have you ever seen the earth

"Have you ever seen the earth from outspace? Use the mapp gas torch and you will! NO, NEVER, NOT EVER USE AN OPEN FLAME AROUND ANY UNCAPPED FUEL SOURCE! Convert the choke to electric.

If you have the old "STOVE PIPE" choke, clip the tubes off and pinch them closed. If you have the "COIL IN THE BOWL" type just leave it or use a chisel to remove it. Fabricate a cover w/gasket for it and secure it with rivets if the bolt holes are stripped.

Another way would be to remove the intake and then, and only then, you can use the mapp torch on it. Clean the intake manifold while it's off and remove any carbon buildup from the exhaust ports."

"good solution, Guy. You could

"good solution, Guy. You could also convert it to a manual choke with a cable if you so chose."

Call a lawyer! (Sorry. C

Call a lawyer! (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Can't picture this....Are you talking about a heat stove deal that opens the choke?

Jeff

"Is the choke frozen or just t

"Is the choke frozen or just the screw? If its just the screw, mabey spray some WD-40 in there to loosen up the coil and call it a day. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Chris"

Thanks for all the advice conc

Thanks for all the advice concerning the divorced choke. Has anyone ever used the conversion that is available to make a divorced choke carb into one that has an electric choke?

Joe:

That's what I put

Joe:

That's what I put on mine. There is nothing to it; just swap the chokes and adjust to specs. You will need a ground wire attached to the choke mounting screw and a 12 VDC source that comes on with the ignition key; purple wire. You can use a delay 12 VDC source by running it off the oil pressure with a pressure activated switch. I don't think it is needed. Just remember that once the key is turned on that the choke coil heater is starting to heat the choke bimetal coil.

Back