Logo

Fluid in outdrive

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"What up guys. I had my 1980 m

"What up guys. I had my 1980 merc. outdrive done about 2 years ago. Boat sat for about a year. Getting boat ready now for this season. I figured i would change the fluid in the outdrive, and when i drained it out, it was a greenish color, and the consistancy of sythnthetic oil. Does this sound like a Mercruiser oil? I've always used hypoid 90 weight, and i didn't want to mix the two together."

"[b]"Does this sound like

""Does this sound like a Mercruiser oil? and i didn't want to mix the two together."

Ayuh,... It Really Doesn't matter......."

as long as there is no water.

as long as there is no water. different brands have different hues depending on additives et al. lube up and go boating.

sounds like mercury marine hig

sounds like mercury marine high performance gear lube to me. thats what should be in there.

"Sounds like merc oil and fair

"Sounds like merc oil and fairly clean. Although I am not interested in the actual design of merc or omc oil, I do know that if water..even a small amount from the water pump seal, prop seal or any of a dozen reasons get in the gear oil, the marine oil will be more forgiving. Automotive gear oil when wet will turn to goo and cause gears and bearings to run dry. Best not to mix marine and automotive oil and spend a few extra $$ and stay with the marine stuff."

Thanks for the info guys. I gu

Thanks for the info guys. I guess i'll break down and buy the factory stuff. Whats that stuff run these days? $100.00 a quart? LOL.

"Bill et al:

The Pennzoil p

"Bill et al:

The Pennzoil product I am referring to is marine grade OD oil. Never had a problem with it for 27 years.
snow.gif
"

"Ayuh,....And Not to start an

"Ayuh,....And Not to start an Arguement,.. But,....

I've been running Mobil 1, in 75W-90 since it came out,.....
It stays Slipperyer longer than Any dino oil I'm found.....
It'll support the gears with More water in it, Better....
In My Opinion anyways...."

sliperyer? is that a real word

sliperyer? is that a real word? sierra hi performance gear lube is available on this site for 8.60 a quart. cheap.

"live and learn, might try to

"live and learn, might try to find the penz to try out.
Got a 60' merc 800 direct drive (NO GEARS, MOTOR RUNS BACKWARDS FOR REVERSE) also called the "dock crasher 6". Some time in the mid 60's I hit a rock and cracked the gear case. It leaked water to the oil ever since. Purchaced a gear and seal set waiting for the original to blow up. To date, still running OEM..go figure. Just run it, park it and the next day or so, the water seperates from the oil, I open the fill cap, water dribbles out then I let the rest drain out then refil with new oil. Get enaugh old oil, I run it thru a reclaim system and use it again and again..Got another gear case to use but the OEM will not blow up. I have no clue to how many gizzlion hours are on the engine!"

Bondo:

I have thought about

Bondo:

I have thought about using Mobil 1 in my 20 yr. old Alpha 1 OD but have been afraid of springing a leak in a seal due to the synthetic oil. I used 5W30 Mobil 1 in my 350 C.I. truck with only 20K miles on it and the rear main seal started leaking--it was under warranty. Do you think the viscosity of 75W90 Mobil 1 will prevent a leak on my old OD?

"[b]"I have thought about

""I have thought about using Mobil 1 in my 20 yr. old Alpha 1 OD but have been afraid of springing a leak in a seal due to the synthetic oil."

Ayuh,.....

In My personal Experince,....
That's a Crock of,....................

Go ahead,+ Try it,...
If it Leaks,....
It's because the Seal is Bad..."

"Ayuh,.....

I'm neither

"Ayuh,.....

I'm neither an Expert, nor a Professional,....
But,....
You're Welcome anyways......
wink.gif
"

Back