Logo

Evinrude 6hp 1977 cooling system blockage

P

paulpaul

"I have a 1977 evinrude 6hp, a

"I have a 1977 evinrude 6hp, and cannot get any water or air through the intake water pipe (after lower unit removal). if i invert the unit and pour water into the bottom of the unit, it runs through into the telltale (clearly not blocked) but pouring into the pipe does not go anywhere. is this a) intended to be like this so thermastat has to turn on to let water through or b) a blockage I need to clear
Thank you"

"get a stiff wire,or coat hang

"get a stiff wire,or coat hanger and poke around in that pipe,...use air pressure...stand up and use air..then see if clear.water should go into block,thermo--retains it till proper temp."

"Thank you JWB. Sorry to ask

"Thank you JWB. Sorry to ask for clarification, with my engine inverted, should the water run through to the tell tale and clear through the pipe only when the engine is up to speed, or straight away?"

I am not sure if I approve of

I am not sure if I approve of your improvised test method.Turning a motor upside down and filling it with water could lead to water in the engine. If water is left in there for a few days you will end up with damaged needle bearings.Try cleaning out the nipple and hose of the indicator and install a new impeller.Test run the normal way

Thank you bob - i had it upsid

Thank you bob - i had it upside down just a few minutes - I'll be sure not to do this again. The blockage is not in the indicator - this is running clear. Its the up pipe I cannot either blow through or get water through. Can you advise if this is normal (ie it only opens under pressure or when hot) or if this indicates a blockages

"Get this motor running (w

"Get this motor running (warmed up ) as soon as you can, to get any water out that may have gotton into the cylinders and crankcase.Install a new impeller and test run.Check thermostat operation. Salt water motor??"

"Thanks bob. its a salt water

"Thanks bob. its a salt water motor - but Pretty clear inside. I'll do as you suggest. Can i just reiterate my question, SHOULD I be able to push water/air through the water pipe before it is up to temp, or is that only available once the thermastat kicks open
Thank you from New Zealand!"

"If a blockage in the waterpip

"If a blockage in the waterpipe most likely 2 options:
1: Grommet 57 on attached pic needs replaced,off with power head.
2: pieces of impeller wings from a broken impeller is stuck in the tube.
You should be able to blow through the pipe, but not full flow.
147930.gif
"

"Thank you Morgan
OK, I am go

"Thank you Morgan
OK, I am going to run it up and see if I get any flow through the tell tale. In summary...

1. the engine 'looks' quite clean
2. The impeller is nearly new with no broken parts
3. the telltale recieves water from the outlet pipes to the lower unit when I invert, but not the intake pipe when i pour water into it.
4. I am unable to get water into the intake pipe or blow air through, and should be able to (accoring to kind people of this forum)
5. I am assuming that the thermostat is not therefore 'inline' between intake and telltale causing a physical barrier between intake and telltale.

6. If I have to remove the powerhead.....I might give up and take it to the service shop!!!!!I am 7. Based upon the above, I am going to run my motor up to temp to clear any possible water damage and examine if it clears any blockage in the water pipe.

My journey into engineering begins!"

"Removing power head is not mu

"Removing power head is not much more than removing gear case to change impeller.
Remove the starter cord from handle and secure it.
Remove choke and adjustment knobs from carb.
disconnect fuel hose (unscrew lid on pump).
Remove the screws holding the power head and lift it up complete with ignition, carb etc."

"Thanks Guys, got it all apart

"Thanks Guys, got it all apart,powerhead off, cleared the block in the inpipe, put it all back together, first pull - started with a telltale (a little weak I think). SO will run through a flush to see if I can maybe get rid of some salt build up. Great advice all. Thank you"

"If tel-tale is weak, it might

"If tel-tale is weak, it might be the thermostat is stuck open, leaking gasket or missing."

Back