Logo

Fuel additive

fleter

"I have a question regarding s

"I have a question regarding seafoam additive. My '03 honda 225 has been hesitant/cloggy at low rpms' (1200 or so, fine above 1500) recently. The boat has a 120 gal fuel tank that is full. Is it worth the $45 to treat the whole tank or better to run a 5 gal aux tank worth of treated fuel for $3. Boat is an '80 mako 238, the previous owner claims to have removed and inspected tank. Boat sits uncovered at marina.}"

"Hey Jim...
Alot of guys on t

"Hey Jim...
Alot of guys on this forum swear by SeaFoam. I personally have never used it as I can't find anywhere to buy where I live. I guess the first question I have is how old is the gas thats in the tank right now? Is it new and fresh, or is it old and stail. If its older than 3 months or so, its going stail and could be causing your problem. Was it treated at any point during its time in the tank? If its new and fresh, I think I would go the route of using the 5 gallon aux tank method. I use regular automotive fuel injecter cleaner in all my toys -- ATV to lawnmowers to boats-- I put some in a couple times a year and have had pretty good results.

If the boat sits uncovered all the time, you may want to check for other possible causes. Condensation on ignition components causes lots of problems. Changed the fuel filter lately?

Wrench"

"Thanks wrench, some of the ga

"Thanks wrench, some of the gas is pretty new, but I'll admit that I don't run the tank down very often, so some of the gas is surely over 3 months old. Fuel filter has been changed plus high/low filter within the last 6 months. Sounds like I should run this fuel out some, maybe leaning to the full tank idea.

Jim"

"thanks J I T, is it worth tre

"thanks J I T, is it worth treating the entire 120 gal of fuel? sounds like it is. Also, is E10 gas enough of a concern to replace fuel lines on an '80 mako? Thanks"

i would replace the fuel lines

i would replace the fuel lines
tanks and fuel lines need to be checked every year and replaced every 7-10 years

Back