Logo

95 EVINRUDE 150 ENGINE SHUTS DOWN

gw44271

"Motor starts up and runs grea

"Motor starts up and runs great until I go to get up on plane then it will shut down like someone turned the ignition off. I can let the boat sit for 3-5 minutes and it will start back up and run like a champ the rest of the day. I have only owned this boat for 1 summer and this happened every time I took the boat out, like clockwork. Any help would be greatly appreciated, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE."

"Gary, Have someone pump the f

"Gary, Have someone pump the fuel primer bulb. While you try to plane. If that fixes it, you have a fuel restriction, clogged fuel filter, or a weak fuel pump. If not, check the wiring to see if there are any obvious loose wires. The next test is to put a timing light on the motor and see if you loose spark to one bank of cylinders or another.

On that motor, when it overheats, the motor will shut down 3 cylinders. You should get a horn and a "hot" light on the system check tach, when that happens, if you have one."

"I have tried pumping the prim

"I have tried pumping the primer ball and it doesn't change anything, as far as getting a horn or a hot light I do not get either. Like I said it only does it 1 time and it doesn't seem to matter if I try to get on plane within 2 minutes of the initial start or if it is after an hour of cruising around at lower rpms. Do you think that this could be the start of a power pack issue?"

"ck for WATER in fuel...then,a

"ck for WATER in fuel...then,all the basics
spark
comp
fuel delivery from tank to carbs."

"I suspected the kill switch t

"I suspected the kill switch too, I even went as far as by-passing it but it didn't change anything. When this engine quits it doesn't bog or act like it's starving for gas, it just stops at the snap of your finger. Which leads me to believe it is a electrical problem. What baffles me is that the problem only happens the first time I go to get on plane and then it works great."

Back