Logo

Power steeringno assist

57raven195

"i have 88 raven 195 with a 5.

"i have 88 raven 195 with a 5.7 merc.aplha 1.i am not getting any assistance from power steering. steers very hard, like manually. it used to work and be "sleepy" and pulse. now it does nothing. replaces power steering pump, no improvment, must be the unit on transem? how do i find out what model it is,which part #s replace?"

"Mercruiser has only used 2 di

"Mercruiser has only used 2 different assist units,....
But,...
I Don't know when the switch was made....

Are you sure it's the P/S system, or is the Cable dragging,..??"

"'88 is the old style. I

"'88 is the old style. I just sold one on e-bay for $25.00, in the box. Timing is everything..."

ps the power steering pump was

ps the power steering pump was under water once when the engine was out...that is why i replaced pump..thought that was the problem.

"Disconnect the steering cable

"Disconnect the steering cable at the power assist unit and see if the steering wheel turns the same; as Bondo stated it may be the cable.

If there is no change, get a manual and perform the tests on the power assist unit. Since it was under water you may need a new assy."

"If the pump was submerged, yo

"If the pump was submerged, you may have water in resevior and hydrauic line... never good for the assist unit."

"Take your boat to a NAPA part

"Take your boat to a NAPA parts store; they'll look it up for you.
snow.gif
"

"Andrew, This is a Mercruiser

"Andrew, This is a Mercruiser only part.

Tony, I am on the road right now and do not have access to the information you need. Call your local dealer and give him your SN. He can look up the PN and order it for you."

"You will need the transom ass

"You will need the transom assy #, get the engine # as well, in case you can't find or read it. That will put them in the ballpark. Cost is maybe $200.00?"

"will the new style bolt right

"will the new style bolt right in and replace the old style u can't get anymore, is pn# 806034a1 the new style"

"Ayuh,....

As far as I know

"Ayuh,....

As far as I know,...
The major Difference is the Size of the oil line connections....

I adapted old to new by brazing the right Ends to the oil lines....."

Back