Logo

b73 65HP bRude

paulholcomb

Regular Contributor
"I need to know what type of t

"I need to know what type of tachometer and what range of RPM I need to replace the POS tach that I have on my boat...My current tach says 500 RPM when the motor isn't running, and will say 650 RPM when it is idling. I don't know what a good idle should be set at for 6000 feet and then at 9000 feet here in Colorado where I currently will be fishing this coming season. If anyone can help me with all of this information beginning with a good cheap tach and then a good idle RPM it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks"

"Check the back of your tachom

"Check the back of your tachometer, perhaps it is simply set incorrectly. A dial on the back of it should be set to #6.

If you tachometer is indeed faulty, you would want a tachometer that has a maximum reading of 6000 rpm, one that operates off a charging system of six (6) pulses. Set the dial to number 6.

A 20" shaft engine which is the modet commonly used engine would want its idle to be set on a flushette to 1000 rpm regardless of the altitude.

Let us know what you find."

"Did you get a Tach?
Let me k

"Did you get a Tach?
Let me know because I have the same engine.
I plan on hitting the water by June after a 3 year overhaul, boat and engine (which were sitting for 17 years)."

Still haven't purchased a

Still haven't purchased a new tach.....I started to pull my guage panel apart and found a MESS!! My assessory switches were a mess and I have a family of wasps living in my dash.....I'm currently cleaning and replacing all of the wiring and will be getting a new tach in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Back