Logo

150hp oceanrunner

"A couple of quick questions&#

"A couple of quick questions(okay, maybe three on the same topic)

#1 Will the powerhead from a 1997 150hp V6 ocean runner bolt up to my 1993 200hp gt venom unit?

The 150hp can be had for an extremely good price(1/2 the price of my rebuild), but the 150hp unit is a 25" shaft and my tired motor is a 20".

I would prefer to change powerheads as opposed to using a jack plate and putting extra stress on my 20 year old transom.

#2 If it does bolt up, will the wiring be easily adapted?

#3 If it does bolt up, will the carbs and intakes from the 200hp venom bolt on and increase the hp?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate and trust the information received on this site far more than I trust the local dealer."

"Two different engines and par

"Two different engines and parts not interchangeable.
It would be one or the other, but not half and half!"

"Fred, That 150HP motor has s

"Fred, That 150HP motor has some adjustment holes which allow you to raise it up on the transom. You will not get 5". but you could get 3" or so. If you motor is mounted all the way down, you might want to look into it."

"Thanks for the responses.

"Thanks for the responses.

Am I being over cautious when it comes to added stress when using a jack plate or is it a myth?

I am not talking about a 6" or 10" setback, but something close to a flush mount jackplate.

Some people tell me to stay clear of them and others say they are not a problem."

"Fred, Jackplates use the sam

"Fred, Jackplates use the same bolt holes that the motor uses. If you use a 3-5" setback, I wouldn't think it would be added stress. Why not use a piece of aluminum as a backer between the bolt heads on the inside of the transom, to add strength."

"I,(my wife), has deci

"I,(my wife), has decided to go with a jack plate and purchase the 150hp to be able to get the boat(and me) on the water and out of her hair quicker than a rebuild.

The rebuild will still take place, although, according to her, on a much longer timetable.

I figure that if I cut back to one meal every two/three days(that she is aware of), walk to work every day, quit smoking, ----/slow down beer drinking, get rid of the dogs and put the kids out to work, I might have the 200hp running by this coming fall.

Wish me luck!

Again, thanks for the input.

May this site keep on boatin forever!"

"Hey Fred, That sounds like t

"Hey Fred, That sounds like the best plan a husband could have!

Question: If a man (likely you) is out walking in the woods all by yourself, with no women around to hear you, are you still wrong?"

Back