Logo

Get me home back up outboard

R

richard q

"2.5 HP Poseidon outboard.
Hi

"2.5 HP Poseidon outboard.
Hi, anyone heard about these? I have a 1989 18ft Sea Ray with the 4.3l Merc and don't want to bother the coast guard if I breakdown and thought if i bought one of these little outboards of ebay it would at least get me home in an emergency. They seem very cheap and was wondering does anyone know anything about them? Spares? Reliability? etc. Thanks Richard
link below:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-POSEIDON-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-2-5-HP-ENGINE-SD-SHAFT-BOAT_W0 QQitemZ170196729633QQihZ007QQcategoryZ56422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"

"The thing is coming from GB.

"The thing is coming from GB. Buy a Briggs and Stratton 4 cycle 5 HP Outboard for $800.
sun.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-HP-Black-Briggs-and-Stratton-Outboard_W0QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ111122QQihZ002QQitemZ12005072573 3QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V"

"For your size of boat, ya kne

"For your size of boat, ya kneed 5 or more hp, to get you safely to the beach. 20 hp to get you home.
That 2.5 poeidon (2 cycle) has some serious issues! No parts or service in the U.S. 50 year old technology ie... oil ratio (24:1) and hp to cc very low. The emmisions may be so bad that it may not be allowed in U.S.
Heck, my weed whacker and chain saws are 50:1. I have not seen 24:1 for over 30 years! 4 cycle model would even be worse..it would not pull a greesed string from a pig's...er...um...bum.
SeaTow is only $145 yearly."

"Good point Grumpy
When I tri

"Good point Grumpy
When I tried out a "kicker" for my barge, I tried a 2.5 2 cycle, it would not get me off the dock. However, it did turn the water to a froth."

"Ok reason I ask is because of

"Ok reason I ask is because of expensive berth cost here. A mooring is far cheaper but beause the engine is direct cooling I can't flush the engine with fresh water on a mooring. So my solution was to moor the sea ray, buy a small 2.5 hp (I have a small punt) and proceed as follows:
Arrive with 2.5hp engine and motor out on punt to mooring. Transfer 2.5 to sea ray and spent day boating with a back up (where i live - Ireland most boating done within harbour). At the end of the day I bring sea ray to marina and flush engine with rabbit ears and hose. Then using 2.5hp I motor sea ray to mooring, and return in punt. This gives me cheaper berthing costs, reduces rust in 4.3l sea ray engine and give me a small light back up get me home motor. Good solution???"

"Richard,
I understand wh

"Richard,
I understand what you are trying to accomplish.I must tell you that is not really what I would do, but that is not the issue here.The issue at hand is if the 2.5h.p. is big enough.Most likely one way or another you will have some type of current.Then add a wind that kicks up from time to time and I believe that 2.5 could get you in a mess of trouble.You can always try on a nice day and see what happens, but I think I would want perhaps a 15 h.p. as my smallest and that might not be enough to be safe.Really need more info like how far is each leg,open water or lots of other boats to be hit,still or swift water?Please remember that safety should be #1, and you owe that to the other boaters around you.I would rather see you borrow something bigger at first and then see where you are at....Todd"

"Richard also wants something

"Richard also wants something he can carry and lift and stow easily.

Richard... the wind and current is a good point.

You might borrow a 2.5 from a marina friend and give it a try. It might move an 18 foot boat, but i would worry about overcoming a good cross wind.

Thinking through your problem... wonder if you could make a fresh water flush system using a large refillable water fire extinguisher... just a thought."

"What up Rich. I have a 22&#39

"What up Rich. I have a 22'2 Aquasport.(heavy boat) I put a Yamaha 9.9 kicker motor on for the same reason. Very strong little motor. Of coarse, if your out front on a choppy day, i wouldn't count on this thing."

Back