Logo

1975 85hp evinrude hard starting

thellcon

"I have a 1975 Evinrude v4 85h

"I have a 1975 Evinrude v4 85hp last season I replaced the spark plugs, impeller, rebuilt the carbs and the fuel pump. The motor runs excellent at mid and high speed but the first start of the day takes a very long time and it will often stall during low idle even after warm up. I have been told that that is just how the old v4s were and can't do anything about it but this does'nt sound right to me any suggestions?"

"Hopefully whoever told you th

"Hopefully whoever told you that "that is just how the old v4s were and can't do anything about it" is not an experienced OMC outboard technician. That statement translates to "I don't know what the problem is or what to do about it".

Remove the carburetor face plate and check to make sure that both choke plates close when the electric choke is engaged. This is necessary for cold starts..... and as well occasionally for warm starts.

A bad idle can be attributed usually to slightly fouled jets. If you didn't manually clean the high and slow speed jets, do so.

The above is assuming that you have proper compression (100+ psi) and spark (jumps a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame with the spark plugs removed), and that you are using Champion QL77JC4 plugs with the gap being .040 .

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Just to back up Joe, My '

"Just to back up Joe, My '75, 115 V4 has always started easy even after prolonged periods of non use. Never had a problem with anything above the water line. It does take the choke to start and medium idle lever. And it does carry the mail!!"

Back