Logo

1981 johnson 115 hp wiring problem fire

J

John Br

I have a 1981 johnson 115 hp.

I have a 1981 johnson 115 hp. I had a fire on the neg batt terminal on my cranking batt. I replaced the batt and tried to start and the starter just spun I replaced the starter with new one still the same. I then replace solenoid and it does the same. The wires from the batt run through a perko switch. any ideas to why my starter will not engage would be greatly appreciated.

Testing and trouble shooting i

Testing and trouble shooting is less expensive then replacing parts.Use a set of jumper cables and go to the starter.If it now cranks fine you need to replace some wires from the battery to the motor or from the solenoid to the motor.

Thanks london marine i did use

Thanks london marine i did use jumper cables and the starter worked fine. I guess i will try to bypass the perko switch and go directly from the batt to the motor and solenoid.

I could not really say what ca

I could not really say what caused it but I made the mistake of buying a batt made in Mexico from wal mart I hooked up my wires like normal and turned on the key and heard a arch turned off the key and looke under my center console and there was a 8-10 inch flame shooting up from my neg term. I can only guess that maybe the polarity of the batt was crossed under the plastic of the batt. What would cause the starter to spin clockwise instead of counter clockwise? I think it is spinning clockwise. Thanks for your help.

"On some starters, reverse pol

"On some starters, reverse polarity or improper installation of the brushes (Prestolite) would cause the starter to run backwards.

However, since your starter operated properly (cranked the engine) when using London's instruction, it is turning and operating normally."

Back