Logo

2 stroke engine wdirect injection

G

Gary Jackman

"Hey Guys, Thanks for the info

"Hey Guys, Thanks for the info earlier on the age of my 90hp johnson. But can anyone tell me what "Parks Canada" means when they say they will allow a 2 stroke engine w/Direct Injection. Does this mean fuel injection and not carbs."

OK here the simple bit----For

OK here the simple bit----For many years the carburetor was used to put air into the motor.It was also used to put gasoline into the motor.It was used to introduce oil into the motor ( mixed with gasoline )to lubricate the motor.Note the oil is put into the motor as a continuous supply of clean oil and eventually it will burn thru or is exhausted.Many people refuse to believe that oil coats all the parts and may remain in the motor for say 5 to 10 minutes before being blown out or burned.------Here come the new direct injected motors----The air goes thru a throttle body and an input goes to the computer. The computer gets various input signals and then injects the proper amount of fuel into the cylinder AFTER THE EXHAUST PORTS CLOSE and this makes them cleaner and more fuel efficient.The oil is pumped seperately to where it is needed in the motor and less oil is used.-----Are they better---- A matter of opinion and it depends on your mindset and budget.Some people have plenty of money and no time to maintain a simple older motor some people want the latest and greatest stuff under warranty and contribute to a greener world----- I could go on and on and on.This enuff for now.

I forgot to add that VRO is no

I forgot to add that VRO is not the same as direct injection.VRO is a so called automatic oil and fuel mixing unit for lazy people.It does NOT qualify as a direct injection engine as far as " parks canada " is concerned.Your best bet if you want your motor to last is to bypass the VRO unit and mix yourself at 50:1 for say fishing use and 40:1 for heavy skiing.

"Gary, The two stroke engines

"Gary, The two stroke engines that will qualify are:
Evinrude E-tec
Evinrude Ficht
Johnson Ficht (not many made)

Mercury Optimax
Mercury DFI (Yes DFI, not EFI)

Yamaha HPDI

Pretty much any four stroke should meet emissions as well.

Mercury made many two-strokes labeled EFI. These do not qualify, as they still scavenge the cylinder with the entire fuel/oil charge like a carb motor."

Back